The mkiv Supra Owners Club

It won't start!!!

Guest njsax

Guest njsax

Hi all....please help. I went to move my NA supra last night for the first time in 12 months. Needed to use jump leads and my assistant connected them backwards for a second ( spark etc)...put that right and tried to start the car. It will crank like crazy but won't start. Went through all the fuses this morning and all appear ok. But I can't hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key or indeed smell fuel after cranking it. I haven't pulled out a plug yet and checked for wetness etc thats tomorrow. Anyone got any ideas please as to what this is. Thanks:confused::confused:

I've heard of TT engines frying the ignitor when bump starting causing it to not start. Not sure if it's the same on an NA.

Pull the king lead off the dizzy and see if you have a spark. The ignitor pack is on the passenger side strut turret on the TT, as I said, not too sure about the NA.

fried ecu , ooo expensive , possibly a write off

:rolleyes: make him feel better!

you sure on the fuses? have you tested each with a multi meter? I had a similar problem on my skyline and it turned out one of the fuses had actually blown but you couldnt tell

Guest njsax

Thanks all...so far I can confirm I have a spark during cranking ( though it looks weak)...I have checked all fuses visually and I have pulled the 120 amp fuse and put it back in. All seem intact though I take the point that sometimes you can't tell so I'll swap out the efi,ecu ignition fuses etc later. I also tried starting it with FP and B linked on the diagnostic port ( found it in an earlier thread) but still got nothing. Still can't hear any sound from the pump. The jump leads were connected to the battery backwards.

The Pump on my NA doesnt churn unless the motors cranking. Do you have fuel to the rail? Would be best to pull a plug and see if its getting fuel. If not, you could well be looking at a replacement ecu. Where are you located? I'm sure someone has one you can borrow to try it? I'm too far away or would lend you mine.

Ben

Thanks all...so far I can confirm I have a spark during cranking ( though it looks weak)...I have checked all fuses visually and I have pulled the 120 amp fuse and put it back in. All seem intact though I take the point that sometimes you can't tell so I'll swap out the efi,ecu ignition fuses etc later. I also tried starting it with FP and B linked on the diagnostic port ( found it in an earlier thread) but still got nothing. Still can't hear any sound from the pump. The jump leads were connected to the battery backwards.

Have you tried putting a meter on the fuel pump itself (on the multi plug part) to see if your getting power when you turn the ignition on/cranking? I'd say your more than likely to have popped a fuse.. If the pump is working and its cranking over alot, you've probably soaked the plugs so i'd have them out and check/clean them up.