The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dump valve problem (video)

pistonbroke

having looked around at dump valve prices, it seems bailey are pretty cheap (it came on the car when I bought it). My thinking is the spring/mechanism is not closing fully when on positive pressure, unless the pressure is strong enough (higher revs) to make it close.

1st thought that came into my head is there isnt enough boost to open the valve... if u sure it used to open at low standing rev (would be a weak spring if so lol)

But the baily valves are easy to service yourself, i used to do mine all the time on my corrado, as oil builds up sometimes and make the piston in the BOV all sticky at the sides causing the valve to need more boost to open up as quick.

Your valve is a lil different to the one i had, but all i had to do is unscrew the allen keys at the top. The top will pop up from the pressure from the sring so hold it together as u take out the screws. you will see how simple the contruction on the valve is as only 2 parts will come out, the spring and the piston (cycler shapped peice of metal) get one disk brake cleaner in a can and some kitchen role ad clean away :)

And then when its all shiny and looking new, reassemble and see what happens.

But it deffo wont be the spring gone, if it is it will open even easyer!

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

:rolleyes: ill wear a bikini to the next meet..... :search: where is everyone

Don't think I'll be coming to the next meet! :run:

Dan, I am not 100% sure but would have given similar advice to what Malcolm has given above. Thing is when you are idle & then revving less pressure is getting through to open the values, so at a higher rev more more is getting through, if it is sticky then it would explain this behaviour.

I assume that this is the same when driving along?

Nice R6 by the way :cool:

Well, I've pre-emptively been doing what malcolm has suggested. I took the BOV off....

As you can see, my leaking seals have caused some oil to blow out the valve, no doubt causing bits of crap to stick to the oil mist and make the smooth operation of the valve a bit sticky.

So, I stripped it down and cleaned everything. I also noted that the nipple for the small vacuum pipe was loose enough for me to unscrew with my fingers, this may have caused some slight leaking.

Re-assembled, nice and clean :cool: (how can these things cost so much money, there's sod all in them)

Here's a video clip of it running having been stripped and cleaned. You can see how low the revs are now that make it vent compared to the other video :cool:

• 2 weeks later...