The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blue smoke, what should I replace while i'm in there?

marc_p

Ok, started up the Supra yesterday, and saw a nice puff of blue smoke come out the exhaust(just once and it didn't smoke at all under boost or any other time) so a quick search revealed that this will be the valve stem seals, so I will be removing the head to replace these and wondered what else I should uprate whilst I'm in there, I intend to go to a small single next year so I thought this would be a prime opportunity to replace some bits that will be beneficial for going single:).

Cheers

Marc

ARP bolt kit? HG? Valves/valve springs.

If you're gonna have it off the road for a long while maybe crank pulley if it's not been done?

Good to check all oil seals i.e. front main, rear main, cams, oil pump (sump off / subframe drop job) water pump, aux belt tensioner to name a few I'd check are fine :)

General service parts and gaskets you could also put in some stronger springs and valves for future proofing if you can afford it, stronger head bolts etc etc

Yeah, I saw a set of uprated springs and valves for £500(or thereabouts) from MVP, I didn't think that was too bad considering theres 32 of them.

Hadn't considered head bolts though, I think that's a must actually.

ARP bolt kit? HG? Valves/valve springs.

If you're gonna have it off the road for a long while maybe crank pulley if it's not been done?

Good to check all oil seals i.e. front main, rear main, cams, oil pump (sump off / subframe drop job) water pump, aux belt tensioner to name a few I'd check are fine :)

Is it advisable to get a thicker HG or is the stock one fine?

Also, cheers for reminding me about the crank pulley, I had that go on my last supe and is an arse of a job, but, as they say, prevention is cheaper than than the cure.

Just to add, I will only be starting off with one of PHRs small single kits, so no massive power gains on the horizon(yet).

I first saw blue puffs of smoke,then larger puffs that turned into billows.Eventually my Supe reminded me of a Spitfire(or Zero) going down in a blaze of glory.Except it was into a money pit.One set of crap AET hybrids,followed by another set(not AET) which was repaired five times.Now single.Hallelujah.The moral being:blue smoke means get your wallet out(for a single).

Is it not white smoke that points towards the stem seals and blue smoke that points to the tubby seals?

Naa, cars will generally have a bit of white smoke when started from water/condensation in the exhaust and a sign of the tubby seals going is blue smoke when turbo number 2 kicks in.