The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox Conversion

Guest Junor890

Guest Junor890

Hey

Iam currently waiting on delivery of my Supra so iam new to this forum.

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with some information on converting a TT manual 5 speed to a 6 speed gearbox?

the supra i bought is a 1995 MKIV i believe.

Is it even possible? What would the cost be like? what kind of parts would be needed to do the conversion?

Thanks in Advance

Guest Junor890

ok then its a NA thats been converted to a TT, sorry kinda new to the whole supra thing. I will hopefully be getting it delivered on saturday so i can confirm then.

If it has been converted to a TT is it still possible to have the 6 speed box fitted? Currently it has a 5-speed R154 (1jz) gearbox fitted.

If all that is correct then there is no need to change that box to a 6 speed, you're just throwing good money away. A good R154 will handle nearly anything you can throw at it, 6-700 bhp easy if memory serves.

Things aren't quite so rosey if its a W58 box though. Anything more than stock TT power (maybe BPU) will see it revert to its component parts and even smaller!

Guest Junor890

yeah i know that is the gearbox that is fitted. Ok thats fine the only real reason i wanted a 6 speed box because thats what the first 1 i ever drove had and it was awsome, also it would help saves some money on petrol having that extra gear on longer journeys.

Thanks for your help

Guest Junor890

i got some pics of it when i was down looking at it and taking it out. they are only mobile phone quality but hopefully it will be ok for you guys :)

supra 1.jpg

supra 2.jpg

supra 3.jpg

If it has been converted to a TT is it still possible to have the 6 speed box fitted? Currently it has a 5-speed R154 (1jz) gearbox fitted.

It has the R154 fitted????? If it really does then leave it, it is a nice enough box and has a slightly longer ratio than a V160.

Guest Junor890

yes it DOES have the R154 box fitted along with a stage 4 competition clutch so its more a personal preferance that i was wanted it changed more than a performance one. I had no idea of cost etc, so know what i know now thanks to you guys i think its just going to stay a 5 speed :)

Well for now anyway.

• 3 weeks later...