The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Couple of questions on refurbing headlights

tomgeer

Does anyone (traders) refurbish headlights now? and if so how much would it cost to polish up the lenses and se-seal a set of facelift lights?

One of mine keeps misting up and I'm fed up with sitting with the mrs's hairdryer drying it out every weekend.

PS if no-one does this I'm going to have a bash myself and need to know if this stuff is suitable for re-sealing them:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WINDSCREEN-GLASS-SEALANT-BONDING-ADHESIVE-GLUE-CAR_W0QQitemZ370240015556QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item5634064cc4

Cheers

Tom

Haven't used master bond before but from the description it sounds like the stuff I've heard recommended by a few people Tom.

Splitting them's not hard, take it easy on the oven temp though (90-100 deg c for 8-10 minutes is plenty, check them after 5 or 6 minutes, and if they begin to harden when you're splitting them fire them back in for a minute or two).

Have you checked the obvious, that the bulb holders are properly seated into their holes and there's no gaps, and that there's sponge bungs in the breather tubes?

Polishing is normally only required on the outside of the lense, it's worth taking them to a detailer or body shop and asking them to wetsand them with a very fine grit, then machine polish with compound, they'll come up like new.

Edit - Supraloopy is the trader/hobbiest that was doing them.

Edited by jim (see edit history)

Haven't used master bond before but from the description it sounds like the stuff I've heard recommended by a few people Tom.

Splitting them's not hard, take it easy on the oven temp though (90-100 deg c for 8-10 minutes is plenty, check them after 5 or 6 minutes, and if they begin to harden when you're splitting them fire them back in for a minute or two).

Have you checked the obvious, that the bulb holders are properly seated into their holes and there's no gaps, and that there's sponge bungs in the breather tubes?

Polishing is normally only required on the outside of the lense, it's worth taking them to a detailer or body shop and asking them to wetsand them with a very fine grit, then machine polish with compound, they'll come up like new.

Edit - Supraloopy is the trader/hobbiest that was doing them.

Thanks for your help Jim, I appreciate that.