The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Have J-Spec Supra, Fitting Uk Spec Brakes Tomorrow

narbar

Hi, im currently aware about the dust guard issues and that it will need to be replaced with the UK issue but I was also wondering if there were any other nigly bits I need to worry about?

Im also replacing the brake lines with uprated ones and was wondering if any special tools were needed and how the best way to do it was?

One last question, whats the best brake fluid for the UK brakes :)

Thanks guys

A good set of brake line spanners (can't remember the technical name) is a necessity IMO. Not a set of cheap ebay ones as they will flare out and be the wrong size etc.

They look like a ring spanner only with a notch out of them. Sort of hybrid between a regular spanner and a ring spanner.

thanks for the replies guys, ill have a look at that brake fluid looks like it will do the job :D And thanks for that guide, just need to sort the brake lines off now, ive removed them from the actual caliper but how do you remove it brake line from the caliper from the actual car? Thanks Dean

Hi, im currently aware about the dust guard issues and that it will need to be replaced with the UK issue but I was also wondering if there were any other nigly bits I need to worry about?

Thanks guys

Have you checked that your wheels will fit over uk brakes?

From personal experience I found it hard to find wheels that will clear uk brakes.

Having experienced big brake kits, UK's and today uprated Jspecs I would have to say for road use and occational track outages that uprated jSpecs perform exceptionally well. Decent disks, Porterfield R4 pads, Braided hoses and Motul 660 fluid I was shocked at just how well the JSpec brakes can perform.

;)
Having experienced big brake kits, UK's and today uprated Jspecs I would have to say for road use and occational track outages that uprated jSpecs perform exceptionally well. Decent disks, Porterfield R4 pads, Braided hoses and Motul 660 fluid I was shocked at just how well the JSpec brakes can perform.

Everyones opinion of JSpecs is in the gutter. I think it has always been down to poorly maintained brakes.

Everyone says the difference between them and UK specs is night and day, I would tend to agree if they are being given pain around a fast track but for day to day use I don't think most of us would be driving hard enough or fast enough to warrant anything more than good lines, good pads and good fluid.... as long as the calipers are good.

How many people have changed from J-Spec to UK spec and said how good they are? If I replaced old brakes with new ones I think I would say the same regardless of spec. If they are in better condition they will always perform better. I'm guessing, in most cases, the same would be said if they did a straight replacement with new J-Specs vs old unloved ones.

Scott, you are straigh on. J-specs are really all you need for road driving. They will stop the car just as good as UK spec, just with another feel to them.

Now, for trackday driving, you can't really use the J-specs. I've tried to upgrade them in various manner but no success yet. I will get to try a really good high boiling point fluid next (have CW pads), if I don't get my EU specs before next Ring trip.

can you notice the difference with braided hoses? or is it just the best thing to do to compliment the new disks and brake fluid and pads?

Braided hoses will make a difference but not "night and day". It'll make the pedal a bit more firm and take out a bit of the "squishiness" from it. But as the hoses are relatively cheap, its a good mod.