The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Painting calipers.

TRD3000GT

OK everyone has done it but I dont want to be the same!

was considering painting but not in a normal colour.

Anyone know how to get a finish like the BREMBOS.

Metalic gold?

Or some other crazy colour I could get them done ?

Metalic blue might be cool?

foliatec (not sure on the spelling) do the best kits, and in lots of colours inc dark blue, they sometimes come up on ebay quite cheap,

then its just a matter of getting the existing paint off your callipers, you can sand, or sand blast, then its a 2 part paint,

then stickers, then a laquer to keep your sticker lookin nice,

(or be lazy n just get dude to do it like me!!!!) :thumbs:

Originally posted by TRD3000GT

problem is all the Foliatec stuff is flat colours . I wanted a metalic looking gold colour

http://www.e-tire.co.jp/omega/brembo-f50_omega02.jpg

what do you suggest?

Without wanting to sound like an arse call brembo and ask them what they coat the things with. I suspect its some sort of chemical coating/anodising process though.

Try 'Smoothrite', non- hammer finish. They do this in Gold, not sure if they do a spray but they do it in tins.

I put this on my MR2 calipers and it stayed fine for two years, no problem with the heat.

I've also just done the inner part of my new rear discs, the bit that goes all rusty and can be seen through wheels (NOT the face of the discs, the outside of the handbrake 'hub'). Been on some 2mths and no problem.

If you want it high gloss then you'll need to lacquer over as it's more of a satin finish.

If from a tin, apply with a dabbing motion using a piece of cotton, this will give a nice even finish, do two coats but let dry well in between and don't be tempted to go back over bits after more than a few minutes as it'll look shite, wait till it drys and sort it on the next coat. KEEP STIRRING THE TIN !! for an even colour.

Before people say it, I know it's not designed for high temp use.......but it works!!

Paul

Originally posted by TRD3000GT

how much would it cost to have them polished up?

This is an option and I would be willing to spend say £25 per caliper to have them polished up!!

but the work would need to be done within a week.

:)

Thats it Chris you push the boat out !!!!:)

Dude:flame Dev

Originally posted by dangerous brain

Would work nice but I was under the impression it would only be flat colours. I have only ever been aware of black powder coating.

Lordy no! For a start my wheels are powdercoated and they are silver. I got them done at a powdercoaters' near where I live and he does all sorts of leary multicoloured designs for motorbikes.

I'll probably get mine done there.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Paul

Try 'Smoothrite', non- hammer finish. They do this in Gold, not sure if they do a spray but they do it in tins.

I put this on my MR2 calipers and it stayed fine for two years, no problem with the heat.

I've also just done the inner part of my new rear discs, the bit that goes all rusty and can be seen through wheels (NOT the face of the discs, the outside of the handbrake 'hub'). Been on some 2mths and no problem.

If you want it high gloss then you'll need to lacquer over as it's more of a satin finish.

If from a tin, apply with a dabbing motion using a piece of cotton, this will give a nice even finish, do two coats but let dry well in between and don't be tempted to go back over bits after more than a few minutes as it'll look shite, wait till it drys and sort it on the next coat. KEEP STIRRING THE TIN !! for an even colour.

Before people say it, I know it's not designed for high temp use.......but it works!!

Paul

Its now July, Paul are they still tickety boo,(the hub bit that is) is there any reason you couldnt use normal hammerite finish as I have always liked the finish it gives.

Matt

How about just buying some gold brembos :innocent: :D :p

LOL!!

That foliatec stuff is good though - used it on my scooby, looked great. Costs about 20 quid in halfords....

BTW - blue would look w4nk, a mate did it on his blue Yaris T-Sport - hmmmmmmmmm

Originally posted by attilauk

im thinking painting my calipers red but i dont wany to lose the supra logo off them, does anyone know where i can get the stickers from?

You need to contact one of our special members on this board, unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember the correct name, begins with G though :)

Gonna hopefully get my calipers painted ready for Billing in errr red - that's along with cleaning the car inside and out, painting my front grill mesh etc etc .... god I'm in for a couple of bloody long days :(