The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! Occasional Loss of Dials, Gauges and Heater Controls!!

dani_r

I've had this issue where occasionally I'll lose all dials on the car!

It first happened a few months ago when I was on a spirited drive, but as I was driving at speed my eyes weren't on the dials and I wasn't 100% sure if i'd actually seen it as it only happened for a second!

Then it happened again the other day whilst driving quite slow, and they dropped off for a minute or so and came back on again! The entire speedo cluster, the km bar at the top of the dash and the whole heater control panel went off completely! However, all my gauges remained active and fully working!

It happened again last night, except this time the car was stationary and didn't move for the whole event. The dials and everything else went off as usual and the gauges stayed on, but what I did notice was that the voltmeter was showing the volts drop from just over 14v as normal to nearly 13v before the power to the dials etc came back on again! This might be coincidence, but I don't know if it's related so thought i'd mention it.

I even checked the turbo timer to see if that went off, but it stayed fully on the whole time.

Also, the car didn't faulter or drop off in any way when these things happened.

Anyone have this happen before or have any thoughts?

Many Thanks :)

Dan

I had something similar - check your battery connection, my positive connection was loose resulting in a dancing rev counter.

Mike

Cheers Mike, I'll take a look. I'm losing total power to everything though! Hope it's nothing too serious :(

• 2 weeks later...
Check all the fuse connections/fuses to make sure they are tight and not moving. The spade connections may have opened up.

I'll look into that. I lost power steering at the same time when this happened the other day too! I had to jossle the car about to get the connection back again. It's definately something loose! It's just finding it.:rolleyes: