The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is contemplating selling...

suprasize

I have a 1995 SZ, first Supra and absolutly love it to pieces! But, Im in two minds at the moment, long term I want a TT6, so do I continue to spend money on an NA and then have a gearbox and engine conversion, or, sell the NA as she is, and buy a TT6 now and be done?

With everyone I've spoke to they reckon I should buy a TT6 outright, just to save costs, resale value, hasstle etc...

I'm sure there are a number if members here who have had this dilemma.

:search:

any advice on the above?

If you love your car ( like I do ) do the conversion, esp if you've got the rest of the car to your liking, if its totally stock and your in a position to buy a tt6 go for that!

I've been struggling for ages with this decisions and now decided to convert mine! :)

If you love your car ( like I do ) do the conversion, esp if you've got the rest of the car to your liking, if its totally stock and your in a position to buy a tt6 go for that!

I've been struggling for ages with this decisions and now decided to convert mine! :)

Yeah it's cost alot of money in the 8 months I've had her, and I don't want to feel like I've thrown alot of money away. All the TT6's I've check on PH aren't to my liking. Ideally, I'd want a TT6 Aerotop if I was going to sell up. :-). Only cause i'm a poser haha!

I too was going to ask about the insurance increase for the conversion. Thanks for the info.

If you love your car, convert. You can cut your spending in half. Half for the engine transplant and then later you can spend the next half on the 6spd conversion. It's easier on your pocket at the end of the day, plus you still have the same joy you bought in the first place.

Dan, I mentioned the above to you the other night. If you've got your car the way you want it, and you've clearly put a lot of effort into her. If you can get the TT6 conversion done reasonably, then go for it. The only thing you have to weigh up, is the price of carrying out the work, in comparison to selling and buying a complete car.

The engine and turbo isn't your real issue I'd say, it's the 6 speed gearbox and gubbins that go with it, as you probably already know, the 6sp gearbox is not cheap :blink:

Edit - in fact, think of it this way, I reckon you're looking at 5k to do a 6spTT conversion. If you sold your car for 4k, then added 5. you could get a very nice 6sptt for that money ;)

Edited by pistonbroke (see edit history)

Dan, I mentioned the above to you the other night. If you've got your car the way you want it, and you've clearly put a lot of effort into her. If you can get the TT6 conversion done reasonably, then go for it. The only thing you have to weigh up, is the price of carrying out the work, in comparison to selling and buying a complete car.

The engine and turbo isn't your real issue I'd say, it's the 6 speed gearbox and gubbins that go with it, as you probably already know, the 6sp gearbox is not cheap :blink:

Edit - in fact, think of it this way, I reckon you're looking at 5k to do a 6spTT conversion. If you sold your car for 4k, then added 5. you could get a very nice 6sptt for that money ;)

Does it have to be a 6Speed? You got a spin in Chris's BPU auto, what did you think of that?

That's what's tricky, for a TT conversion I'm looking at £2000 - £3000 (supply and fit), and the 6spd is equally as much. I could sell up, and get the TT outright and not have the hasstle if things go terribly wrong.

I think it's a sort of mental block owning a auto because I know if I do go auto a few months down the line I'll have a similar thread saying I want to a manual etc :-/ just because I'm picky (even though Chris' auto is a crazy car!)

I think I'm going to get a few prices for the for the full TT6 conversion, if they are extortionate and I can't justify the costs, you may see a for sale thread ;-).

Auto is not so bad. I have driven a few auto cars of the girlfriends dads, Range Rover, Merc 220cdi , SLK convertable but the Supra auto is something else :D and you always have Manu to keep it a bit more fun. As to the conversion if you love your car and want to convert I guess it depends on cost and what cash you have to spend, every decision revolves around cash. Decisions decisions but I guess you will make the right one for you.

Ideally, I'd want a TT6 Aerotop if I was going to sell up.

You might already know this but... do you realise that you can't buy a factory-built right-hand-drive TT6 aero? It would need to be a manual conversion using an auto aero as a starting point. :)

If it were me I'd sell the NA and buy a TT, but I don't know how much money you've put into your NA (and on what parts), and I haven't seen your NA in the flesh.

If it were me, I'd sell your NA, and buy a TT6. You have the right budget for a nice TT6. It'll be a car that was 'out of the box' in the spec you want. No messing with paperwork, no messing with potential buyers down the road explaining how and why everything has been changed.

I'd speak to Jurgen, tell him what you want, let the man work his magic to find the car you really want. Stick a deposit down, while you wait for the car to arrive, sell your NA. Then sit back and wait for your new toy to arrive with a smug smile on your face that you're the first person on the log book :D

If you want a TT6 then sell up and buy a TT6.

Doing the TT conversion to yours and then a 6sp conversion will cost almost asmuch as buying a TT6 outright.

Buy a new car and spend some of the left over money making it yours again, much better idea.

Also, if you want a TT6 Aerotop, you will have to get an auto aero and make it 6sp as all aero TTs are auto. That is the route I am goin :)

Yeah, and like I said in the meet thread, there's nothing in it between the two.

Yep! I thought I keep up pretty well with both you & Chris dispute hanging off a bit as I ate a load of stones from you and Chris pulling away as plus with me having JSpec brakes I didn't fancy getting closer! Was a fantastic sprint though at the end, your car is the dogs dangly bits Dan! (That's both Dan's) :thumbs: