The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PROJECT: ugly duckling

Guest DC5MATT

Guest DC5MATT

Hi guys, I joined up here before to find out and research regarding a TT supra my brother had.

I've now begun work on the car, trying to restore some kind of decent standard to the car..

heres some before pictures to show the condition i found it in:

more when they upload..

Edited by DC5MATT (see edit history)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo, id loose the spoiler for a stock one (pretty cheap used) alloys are gone i wouldnt even bother trying to refurb those, so look for a nice set, headlights dont seem that bad, id clean them up a little, clean the engine bay up nicely, havnt seen the interior, give the callipers a lick of paint and sort the body paint work...then that car will look hot again:D nice project

Guest DC5MATT

these next pics are from my blackberry (sorry)

ready for its temporary home..

done one nights work so far;

cleaning:

spoiler!

Guest DC5MATT

Thanks guys,

plan really is to get the car to a standard where it will be sellable (word?)

I can do the majority of the work, although i'm learning most of the way.

The engine bay has come up great so far, it'll be finished once the motor is serviced. I always have the bays on my cars clean and tidy so i'm enjoying this part.

Wheels and brakes, for now the 3 piece wheels are being rested, although soon to be redone as a separate project once money allows. One the look out for some standard Toyota 16s. Brakes are coming off tomorrow for a seal check and clean up with a re finsh in fresh paint.

Bodywork wise i have a bit to do, ideally want to replace the fibregash front item with a genuine Toyota bumper i'm struggling to find one at the moment... can anyone help? the headlamps are beginning to colour up, can these be split to clean? As you can see the paint comes up well with a polish.. i had 5 minutes on the front wing as a test using meguiars paint cleaner and then Autoglymn SRP.

Interior is near mint although i'll wetvax it bacause its been stood a while so is dusty.. i'll post pictures soon cos i need advice/help on some parts i need.

can't think of much more to write now,i'm not sure on spec although i have found an HKS turbo timer, Bilstein dampers, and a Blitz NUR spec on there.

Don't worry, i'll be paying up for full membership this week :D

hope you guys can help me and more importantly the car where possible, thanks Matt.

the headlamps are beginning to colour up, can these be split to clean? , thanks Matt.

80 degrees c in the oven for 5 mins, take all the seals off first etc. They will then be able to be pulled apart by hand. Dual action polish the lenses with Megiuars PlastX using a dual action polisher. It will take 5 minutes to sort the lenses:D what are the insides of the lights like? are they corroded?

Guest DC5MATT

scotty - cheers dude, i feared i'd need to use the oven technique! al give it a go before buying replacements. cheers.

granty - a place called Retford dude, just off A1 near Worksop.

scotty - cheers dude, i feared i'd need to use the oven technique! al give it a go before buying replacements. cheers.

granty - a place called Retford dude, just off A1 near Worksop.

Not far from myself (Mansfield)

you could nip over and give my supe a good clean too if ya like! Lol:D

Guest DC5MATT

GRANTY - help me locate parts and i'll trade polishing time.

steel - its solid mate, should take a quick clean up, gonna underseal arches etc when i do my Honda.

bob - no danger!! i'll try one see how it turns out.