The mkiv Supra Owners Club

handling issues, seems to go everywhere at high speeds

Lude

it maybe a common issue with the Supra, just wonder how everyone elses handles.

my car is BPU, 380BHP.

its on 9.5J rear wheels, 8J fronts. tires all good, and are 240/45/17 front, a little wider on the back 265/45/17 if i remember.

the car has front & rear strut brace, and also a body brace (by rear seat)

its only bilstein shocks & springs, rarther low tbh

now the power steering is very very sharp, only have to move lightly and the car will turn.

it drives in a straight line, but when your giving it a bit, at say anything over 60/70 it seems to wonder over the road a bit??

dont know if its the condition of the roads? or if the car is need of some coilovers??

anyone else have this issue??

ok,

is that the same as the tracking or isit different?

Geo goes much further than tracking, adjusting where necessary any castor/camber movements over the years.

If you've got crap tyres change them-then get a full geo done.

From past posts it apparently transforms the driving experience.

I plan to get it done when I have changed my suspension :)

Tyre pressures/tyres.

Get alignment done and suspension components checked for wear.

Could also be a dodgy speedo conversion affecting the power steering.

ok thanks.

how much does the geo usually cost?

im going to not asume its the steering, as im holding the wheel straight and not moving it.

the way i can describe how the car is behaving, as asif its bouncing and tending to wander left & right

The 1st thing to do is check your tyre pressures, then get the car on a ramp so you can check the suspension for play in any of the bushes, track arm joints, ball joints or even wheel bearings and also check for possible leaking or blown dampers.

A full geometry set up cost will depend where you take it, anything from £80 upwards

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I have a similar thing(I have brand new bridgestones all round) on stock suspension, I notice it most on the motorway, If I have it in 6th and put my foot down the car drifts to the right, then when I let off it starts coming back to the left, I've always assumed it's the tracking, just havn't really had a chance to sort it yet.

seems to be getting worse last nite, maybe thatl help me pin point the problem tho.

i had to stop and check the wheels were all tight last nite, thats what it felt, bit wobbly sorta thing. (1 of the wheels wernt very tight at all tho)

in second gear, if you get it on boost, the back end is sorta coming out a touch, then shooting the car forward, slightly diagonal? (in the dry now, never done that before)

going to book it in garage,

seems to be getting worse last nite, maybe thatl help me pin point the problem tho.

i had to stop and check the wheels were all tight last nite, thats what it felt, bit wobbly sorta thing. (1 of the wheels wernt very tight at all tho)

in second gear, if you get it on boost, the back end is sorta coming out a touch, then shooting the car forward, slightly diagonal? (in the dry now, never done that before)

going to book it in garage,

Worn bushes i bet.

Mine was doing the same thing a little while back, checked the geo and all was good, we could not find any play in anything, in the end i changed everyting on the rear end to brand new oem and alls perfect once again, not cheap a cheap fix:(

I have read before (but can't find the thread right now) that worn diff mounts can give you perculiar rear handling issues, especially under load :search:

...or was I just dreaming this?

Worn bushes i bet.

Mine was doing the same thing a little while back, checked the geo and all was good, we could not find any play in anything, in the end i changed everything on the rear end to brand new oem and alls perfect once again, not cheap a cheap fix:(

i have the exact same problem and i'm going with worn bushes or top mounts :( just going full coilover instead of bilsteins and springs

i have the exact same problem and i'm going with worn bushes or top mounts :( just going full coilover instead of bilsteins and springs

I will be supprised if its top mounts tbh mate.

One word, dont fit powerflex bushes, they are garbage, go oem.