The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Side view cameras

Attero

My road leads out onto a main road and is the only way out. Unfortunately the junction is impossible to see out of due to the Supras large bonnet size.

What I am planning for my Supra is to add at least one camera onto the front bumper to at least see to the right. Although I would like a two cameras to view both sides at the same time.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to do this and what camera systems would be good with the best disguise? I have no video player in the car as of yet, so I need to buy a camera system with video output (including night vision) and I would really like it to support the two cameras.

I don't want to connect this to large monitors or a laptop because it will have to be used daily and so eventually I will connecting it to a double din video player.

I was thinking of possibly drilling into the bumper and placing the small cameras into the sides (so they are completely invisible). Is this possible?

The image below will explain the drilling into the front bumper. Red spot 1 or 2 are just possible areas although I think spot 2 is the more suitable.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3289/blindspot.jpg

I've never done anything like this (obviously I would get help), so I really need suggestions from you guys.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

couldn't you just mount one of the big domed mirrors on the other side of the road to give you a better clearer view of whats coming?

cos i recon those cameras would get dirty quickly and become useless?

i know what your trying to do and its for a good reason. maybe you could mount a small tv in your sun visor.

couldn't you just mount one of the big domed mirrors on the other side of the road to give you a better clearer view of whats coming?

cos i recon those cameras would get dirty quickly and become useless?

i know what your trying to do and its for a good reason. maybe you could mount a small tv in your sun visor.

I contacted the local council about it and they said it's against traffic safety regulations. Basically, they don't give a damn if you own a sports car. They'll only put one up if a smart car can't see around difficult spot. Which is absolute tosh tbh. We are known for having one of the most useless councils I suppose.

why cant you just turn left, then double back??

I have no idea what you mean.

I contacted the local council about it and they said it's against traffic safety regulations. Basically, they don't give a damn if you own a sports car. They'll only put one up if a smart car can't see around difficult spot. Which is absolute tosh tbh. We are known for having one of the most useless councils I suppose.

I have no idea what you mean.

Is it a one way road?? if not turn left and then turn around and go the way you want. :D

My road leads out onto a main road and is the only way out. Unfortunately the junction is impossible to see out of due to the Supras large bonnet size.

What I am planning for my Supra is to add at least one camera onto the front bumper to at least see to the right. Although I would like a two cameras to view both sides at the same time.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to do this and what camera systems would be good with the best disguise? I have no video player in the car as of yet, so I need to buy a camera system with video output (including night vision) and I would really like it to support the two cameras.

I don't want to connect this to large monitors or a laptop because it will have to be used daily and so eventually I will connecting it to a double din video player.

I was thinking of possibly drilling into the bumper and placing the small cameras into the sides (so they are completely invisible). Is this possible?

The image below will explain the drilling into the front bumper. Red spot 1 or 2 are just possible areas although I think spot 2 is the more suitable.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3289/blindspot.jpg

I've never done anything like this (obviously I would get help), so I really need suggestions from you guys.

I think this is a very good idea. I'm in the same bout where i live, could you let me know if you get this to work?

Some lexus & merc have this as a stock item, so i'm sure you will be able to get something like this from somewhere.

I know this one has been used as a reversing camera on some Soarers (connected to the factory fitted TV screen).

http://shop.reversingcamerasuk.com/epages/es106294.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es106294_shop/Products/CAM025

Apparently cheap cameras don't work in low light.

There seems to be plenty of choice, even from this one supplier.

http://shop.reversingcamerasuk.com/epages/es106294.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es106294_shop/Categories/%22Reversing%20Cameras%22/%22CCD%20reversing%20cameras%22

Since you'll be interested in seeing a fair distance, I suppose you'll have to avoid cameras with wide-angle lenses.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

If you're not looking to spend much, you could do it for under £200 for new gear courtesy of eBay:

DVD head unit with video input £136 delivered

3 x cameras (£10 each) £30 delivered

Video switch box £13 delivered

The 3 individual video inputs (left & right front & reversing) would be manually switched into the DVD head unit via the switch box.

Personally I'd spend more on the head unit and the cameras. The point is you don't have to look for a head unit with three video inputs if you use a video switching device - which doesn't have to be expensive...

...and if you are - or know someone who is - electrically competent, then with the addition of a few relays it could be made to switch to the appropriate camera when you signal left or right, or go into reverse. :)

id go with location 1. 2 is more noticeable and would look a bit odd. 2 is more tucked away.

Your right, it would be more tucked away. I thought position 1 would be too thin to hold the camera, but I just had another look and it seems fine. So position 1 it is!

Aren't switch boxes quite large? This is what I need, but I can only find quite large switch boxes.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good switchbox for the car, which I can easily use from the drivers seat.

You could use one like this for £12.95 delivered.

Take everything out of the box and mount the switch through the dash. Just use the left channel connections and you could possibly cut the right channel connectors/internal wires off. All that you'll see is the switching knob itself.

switch.JPG

You could use one like this for £12.95 delivered.

Take everything out of the box and mount the switch through the dash. Just use the left channel connections and you could possibly cut the right channel connectors/internal wires off. All that you'll see is the switching knob itself.

Sounds good. Thanks. Although I think I have an idea. This pioneer dvd set holds several ports for video input. Although I'm not sure how quick it is to switch between the two (because obviously taking 30 seconds to switch between the cameras would defeat the objective here) using this unit but I could always use that switch you mentioned and add it to this head unit.

I could buy two of these that garethr mentioned:

http://shop.reversingcamerasuk.com/epages/es106294.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es106294_shop/Products/CAM025

And then buy this:

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-avh-p3100dvd_p-24037.htm

If the switch over between cameras takes too long, I buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-WAY-PHONO-RCA-STEREO-AUDIO-INPUT-SELECTOR-SWITCH_W0QQitemZ200292363569QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConsumerElectronics_VideoSwitches_SM?hash=item2ea25aed31

Edited by Attero (see edit history)

Sounds like a good plan. :)

You're definitely better spending that bit more on the head unit rather than one of those cheapo jobs off eBay. The Pioneer you linked to looks decent. £55 a camera seems quite a lot, but you will get slightly better video quality.

How? If they only have inputs for audio then surely it can't work for video. :think:

Both the video camera and audio switching box use phono connectors and screened cable. An audio switching box will work for video, and a video switching box will work for audio.

So your all the inputs work for both audio and video? What's the point of the colours then? Just to keep it tidy?

I've now bought the Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD. I will buy the cameras when I next get paid at the end of the month.

So your all the inputs work for both audio and video? What's the point of the colours then? Just to keep it tidy?

Yes.

I've now bought the Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD. I will buy the cameras when I next get paid at the end of the month.

Looks good. :)

Tried fitting the head unit today with the new ISO adapter that came through and it worked well... HOWEVER, the only place I can install the side-view cameras are in the aux-2 socket at the back and when I connect up to that using a test subject (a Fujifilm camera) it doesn't seem to do anything but show some background image.

This is the only test subject I currently have, so do you think it's the camera or do you think there is something I'm missing? I've switched around with the settings for hours, and nothing. The user manuals have nothing and there is nothing about it on Google.