The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT MPG vs 1.8 20vt Leon?

Guest guiddruid

Guest guiddruid

Have any of you TT owners driven a 1.8 20vt Leon / Golf / Audi enough to get a feel for the difference in MPG? Approx personal mpg figures you have for both cars would be interesting.

I am thinking of a Jspec TT as a daily driver (450 miles/week), and would like some idea of how many times a week I would be visiting the petrol station.

Currently (almost exclusively motorway) I am getting 360 miles a tank out of the Leon - a little under 55 liter per fill. Somewhere between 33 and 36MPG. Fuel tank on a Jspec is bigger (70 liters?)... so I should get about the same range at about 26MPG.

Don't suppose a UK-spec 80L fuel tank would fit? Probably can't buy them anyway...

Guest guiddruid

My commute is motorway... there's as much variability between drivers as cars though, which is why I was interested in people who had driven both.

Well done on the 1st reply not being "if you have to ask you can't afford it":sly: I'm just not keen on spending half my free time on a garage forecourt... My other car is a 400ci American V8. That needs filling up twice a day. Think I would need to win the lottery to drive that daily...

When i bought my jspec tt6 from scotland i drove it back to ireland (all motorway) on a full tank. I got about 400 miles to a full tank with my first fill of v-power, thats the most it has ever done. Driving it hard i've also had 175 miles to a tank.

Guest guiddruid
Autos are worse than manuals
Doh, good point. Should have mentioned it would be a manual.

Suprab1; Sounds like 360 miles on a tank might be achievable on occasion then - 99% of my commute is motorway.

Have any of you TT owners driven a 1.8 20vt Leon / Golf / Audi enough to get a feel for the difference in MPG? Approx personal mpg figures you have for both cars would be interesting.

I am thinking of a Jspec TT as a daily driver (450 miles/week), and would like some idea of how many times a week I would be visiting the petrol station.

Currently (almost exclusively motorway) I am getting 360 miles a tank out of the Leon - a little under 55 liter per fill. Somewhere between 33 and 36MPG. Fuel tank on a Jspec is bigger (70 liters?)... so I should get about the same range at about 26MPG.

Don't suppose a UK-spec 80L fuel tank would fit? Probably can't buy them anyway...

I bought my supra (a na auto) in milton keynes and drove it to edinburgh,nearly 370 miles on a tank of fuel ...all motorway averaging 70-80 most of the way.The needle was getting toward the empty,but I did another 40 miles before the fuel light came on.Not to bad for an auto me thinks

Guest guiddruid

Thanks guys - looks promising then... perhaps I can stop thinking about a fuel cell where the spare wheel should be / UK spec fuel tank etc. Will just see how it goes...

Appreciate the N/A suggestions too, but I would miss the turbo kicking in too much.

If your concerned about fuel perhaps an n/a would be your answer for motorway,not as much grunt but same great looks;)

I cant say this is totally true, my n/a was worse on fuel than my TT engine and I had replaced the O2 sensors on the n/a, these are Motorway miles of course, when you plant it you can watch the fuel gauge go down :D