The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension problem - advice please.

Jas

Hi guys,

Ive got a bit of a problem with my suspension. would appreciate any expertise anyone may have or if anyone can suggest a garage to take my car to not too far from the heathrow area who may be able to help.

basically there is a very disconcerting squeaking coming from my front passenger side suspension when i drive or when i push down on the wing. Its driving me nuts! Sounds like several mice are making out under my wheel arch.

Jacked the car up the other day to try to have a look and it looks like part of the top mount assembly (i think..) is bust on that side. im not sure if this is the cause of the squeak or its something else but it doesn’t look good.

took a pic of each side for comparison. can any one help?

DSC01383.jpg

DSC01384.jpg

but those spring rates look insane,.

... i have no idea what the means.:(

unfrotunately your next line sounds spot on...

it must ride like a board and be very skittish in the wet.

tien coilovers. Can anyone suggest a place to get these checked out and setup properly?

yep... the missing bit was the bit that worried me.

so i would of thought 99% that thats your problem mate. you need a new top mount, well i assume that bush is all part of the top mount?

someone will have to confirm it tho, as i have never taking a supras suspension apart chap:rolleyes:

Helped J80LEO replace his suspension the other day. He got it all off Chris Wilson (top bloke by all accounts, leo rates him highly anyway) Was surprised how easy it was to do. The only problem we had was getting the fronts out in limited space but there is a guide on here somewhere with pics to help you.

If you dont know what suspension is on there at present i would suggest getting some genuine replacements or speak to Mr. Wilson.

Chris is that the bump stops at near the top mount of the suspension on the first pic which looks like it has cracked?

Jas - I'd recommend getting a quote from Tein as it might work out better to get another set or would be better to get Chris Wilson to get his hands on it. Tein are not exactly cheap & the main problem is if this starts to happen again? the springs on the car don't look that old.

Good luck dude & one more thing, make sure you get the Geo done after the suspension work. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update guys.

The guys at powerhouse engineering had a look at this for me and it turns out it was the top mount rubber bump stop that had pretty much disintegrated (as Chris had guessed obviously!).

Toyota part. about 70 quid new, about 60 for labour. jobs a good’n! no more nasty squeaks from the front suspension! :)

Very appreciative to all the guys that posted help and opinions for helping me to sort the prob. :thumbs:

thought it may be helpful to post up solution/costs for anyone finding themselves in a similar boat in the future.

regards,

Jas

• 3 weeks later...

:badmood:grrrrr.... If its not one thing its something else!!

Ever since ive had this work done, its fixed the squeak, but the cars pulling left.

ive had the geo setup checked and rechecked from my local and they now swear the alignment and setup is as it should be and the problem is else where...:search:

ive booked it in again with power engineering, so will see what they say.

Anyone have any ideas about how changing a top mount thingy could potentially mess up the steering...

basically if you let go of the steering on a dead straight flat road... the car will automatically and immediately change lane for you (consistently to the left)...

now this would be fantastic if my supra referred to me as "micheal flippin knight" and audiobly confirmed that a change of lane was required before it executed the manoeuvre in its characteristically smooth and measured fashion.... but it flipping doesn’t... it just wants to go left, all the bleeding time!...

...il calm down now. Any ideas?

Just the one Ian...

could that be the prob?

I'd certainly have changed them as a pair as a new one you will find to be a lot firmer than a worn one (especially if it's even nearly as bad as the one you replaced)