The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lpg conversion

cobrastang

After another 60 quid at the pumps today I made up my mind..yes Im getting an lpg conversion.I can have this done for £1000 and I should get my cash back in fuel savings after about a year..then its cheap motoring all the way.Im also thinking when I sell the car,it will be an extra selling point having this fitted and will sell faster and for more cash...maybe an extra £500 on a standard for sale supra??All the cheap fuel and extra cash back when I sell,makes the conversion cost actually a lot less than the 1k i will pay..its a no brainer really ;)

I worked it out, it would take me 3 years for it to pay for itself.

I spend no less than £40 a week on fuel..thats a £960 saving in 12 months using lpg for me...remember you will get a wee bit more for yer car as well when selling because of the conversion..50 mpg in a supra hehe :)

Wouldn't be so sure about getting more for your car when it's done, I've seen a few supra's with the conversion done for sale now and none of them went quickly and came down in price! Personally I wouldn't buy a LPG converted car ESP something like a supra, the engine isn't designed to run on gas, I reckon if you get it done you'll start to see a few things go wrong after a year or so if not sooner! Not a big fan of this at all TBH!

He's done a few lexus 300s before and they have gone on to do huge mileage with no probs.they just need seviced once a year, the only problem car he has had is ford mondeo.He just serviced one of the lexus last week its done 70k miles after the conversion..no problems. I think I will take the chance .

I wouldnt see an issue lots of cars run gas.

I couldnt live with the way my boot would look. Im way to vain.

Post pics when its done mate.

Yeah I will russ,I might dark glass the rear of the car and cover it in that carpet stuff...or paint nos on the tank..:D the saving Im gonna make I will put up with the ugly buldge :p

If he's a professional then he will know what flash lube is. Japanese engines have very soft valve seats the VVTi engine in particular is very soft for example. Have a read about on the various lexus forums and you will hear about quite a few that have worn out valve seats in some cases just in a matter of a few thousand miles. The type and manufacturer of kit you have fitted will make a considerable difference on what MPG you actually make and how useful the kit actually is. The main thing to consider when looking into LPG conversions is the availability of a supply. Alot of garages in my area have started selling gas but there are vast areas of the UK that have no suppliers at all.

If he's a professional then he will know what flash lube is. Japanese engines have very soft valve seats the VVTi engine in particular is very soft for example. Have a read about on the various lexus forums and you will hear about quite a few that have worn out valve seats in some cases just in a matter of a few thousand miles. The type and manufacturer of kit you have fitted will make a considerable difference on what MPG you actually make and how useful the kit actually is. The main thing to consider when looking into LPG conversions is the availability of a supply. Alot of garages in my area have started selling gas but there are vast areas of the UK that have no suppliers at all.

Yeah I have 3 stations in a 3 mile radius of my house..im sure he will know about flash lube..its just that I dont hehe.hes fitting the best of stuff...Thanks though,I will mention the lube to him incase he forgets..

Interesting why people would buy a supra and want an LPG converstion... IMO Supra's are a Sports car that shouldn't be even considered for something like this.

But each to there own good luck with the conversation and let us know how you get on

It wouldn't make a difference. Your car will run with similar output for much less money spent on fuel. It's a positive thing to do if you are planning on keeping you car for a while and it's a daily runner.

Interesting why people would buy a supra and want an LPG converstion... IMO Supra's are a Sports car that shouldn't be even considered for something like this.

But each to there own good luck with the conversation and let us know how you get on :)

Whats wrong with wanting a nice car and saving on fuel??I'd rather line my pockets than Gordon bloody Browns..thats for effing sure.

But each to there own good luck with the conversation and let us know how you get on :)

My 4.4 range rover is BETTER to drive on gas as it has more torque, with a toroidal tank you are not incovenienced at all, loads of peeps don't even carry a spare anymore.

• 1 month later...

If you have to ask you don't want to pay it basically. In reality probably about £1650-1850 dependent on area (availability of lpg installers) and options you go for. You do need to do alot of miles to earn the money back unless you run a second car because the price of fuel stops you running your supra daily.