The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newby looking to Purchase Supra TT

Guest GoldLude

Guest GoldLude

Hi all

The time has come to start looking for a new motor. after test driving a few different cars the choice is down to 2.

J spec Supra TT (still to drive)

Honda S2K

I have seen a supra for sale on the newera Imports web site, theres a full description of the car and i now have all the pics that are available. But not being able to drive or see the car before parting with me cash does worry me a little.

Has anyone purchased a supra from this company before??

any advice would be more than welcome.

Cheers

Gav

If you're wanting out right performance then a Supra will make you more than happy. I test drove a S2000 last year and it felt guttless compared to my Supra.

There is the full-top-down element of the S2000 if thats what you're looking for, but then again the Supra has an aero-top version which may take your interest.

Originally posted by GoldLude

I have seen a supra for sale on the newera Imports web site,

I have heard them mentioned on here before but cant tell you anything about them, cause I cant remember what was said, if I ws you I would do a search on "newera imports".

Originally posted by GoldLude

Has anyone purchased a supra from this company before??

any advice would be more than welcome.

Cheers

Gav

'Andyp' on here brought his RX-7 from there and from memory was happy with the car and service from Newera.

i don't think there are many supra owners on here with cars from there, alot more tend to have come from JIC ltd (now closed)

Whats your preference supra wise, mod's or standard, colours transmission etc etc?

Have you looked at all privately? its just that a fair number of private sales are one owner from import ie people like yourself who went to an importer / dealer for various reasons, but are now selling up and cannot command dealer prices, so you can potentially get more car for your money.

I appreciate you may want the security of a dealer brought car but in my experience given the normal precautions private sales can be just as safe.

Originally posted by Scooter

Whats your preference supra wise, mod's or standard, colours transmission etc I appreciate you may want the security of a dealer brought car but in my experience given the normal precautions private sales can be just as safe.

Especially if you buy from a member of this site as the car itself will be known to a lot of people and the probabilities of being sold a duffer by anyone on here is very low.

The type of driving you do may influence the choice here a bit. If you do a lot of twisties then the s2k would be the better choice but if its motorway cruising and mundane town driving then the soop is particularly good at that.

One thing to bear in mind is the difference in thirst of the 2 cars especially with petrol heading to a quid a litre:p

I got my 93 Silver TT Supra from Newera, and am happy with the service that they provided.

It was a 2 stage process though, bought the car from Miguel (very helpful) in Japan and it was then shipped over and prepared in the UK by Motormall down nr. Folkestone where I collected it from.

I'm sure I read a thread a while back about somebody else who'd had a few problems with the motormall end and some blown turbos, worth a search on the forums to see what turns up.

Cheers,

Sherriff.

I think it was 'Osso' who had the problems.

I don't think this is a case of a dubious importer off loading shoddy motors, more a rogue car getting through the auctions (could happen to anyone i guess?) without both turbo's intact etc...

.....maybe worth a pm to see how the warranty / aftersales care side of things worked out.....

Guest GoldLude

Cheers Guys

I was a little disappointed with the s2k power didnt feel much quicker than my 2.2 Lude, but it did handle very well.

Supra attracts me becase it has more toys, cruise climite etc, just like my lude, but also has over 300bhp.

I`ll only be using the car for a couple of days a week as i have a micra to smoke about in to work. so really its only gunner be used at weekends and in the evening when i go out.

i have looked in the trader to see whats about but many of the cars have mods and i really want one that is standard for the time being, then i can mod it to my own tastes.

i`ll have a look on the other forums to see the what feedback there has been.

Cheers

Gav

Hi GoldLude,

I have a J-spec Supra TT. My best mate has an S2000. I have had quite a bit of practice with both :D

IMHO they are both fantastic cars, and you are unlikely to be disappointed with either of them.

The S2000 is more in the classic roadster/out-and-out sports car mould. The Supe is more of a GT/performance car.

I think the Supra is more flexible, especially with an auto box, considering that it has the rear seats, the longer wheelbase, the bigger boot (yes! The Supe has a bigger boot than something!), etc, so it will be more comfortable and practical for long journeys. It's also faster, which is always good, and has more readily available modding potential - a recent thread revealed that £1000 or so of mods can easily get you up to about 450bhp.

The S2000 doesn't give you the same performance but it is still pretty fast, and it's also immensely satisfying to hoon. It's lighter than the Supra and (dare I say it with all these Supra owners looking?) probably has sharper handling as a result. Plus you get the benefit of it being a convertible.

Both cars are pretty reliable.

You pays your money, you takes your choice. For me, it was the dual nature of the Supra that swung it - it's fantastic at going damn fast, but also very good at being comfortable and relaxing if you're in that sort of mood, which is something the S2000 will never be. Oh, and of course six-cylinder engines are just better :p

Originally posted by splurge

I think the Supra is more flexible, especially with an auto box, considering that it has the rear seats, the longer wheelbase, the bigger boot

The S2000 has sharper handling

If the only things that the Supra has got going for it are the rear seats and the boot size, mine's just on its way up the dump :D

Personally I don't know why they didn't make the Supra in a 2 seater version, like the 300ZX, for the amount of use the rear seats are. There could have been more boot space and more front cabin room.

Seriously, I know what you mean, I just never thought anyone could make those 2 particular features of the car plus points :)

The S2000 must have a miniscule boot, my MR2 had far more boot space than the Supra. (didn't go as well though :))

Fair point Mr Valenti! I s'pose what I should have said is, "The Supra gives you all the S2000 gives you and then some on the performance front, plus..."

Yep, the S2000 boot is more a theoretical concept than an actuality. If you've ever seen an MX-5 boot, it's like that. The Supe boot is not the greatest, but you can put lots of stuff on the back seats, too - let's face it, nobody's ever going to be able to sit there so you might as well use them for something. :cool:

Originally posted by splurge

you can put lots of stuff on the back seats, too - let's face it, nobody's ever going to be able to sit there so you might as well use them for something. :cool:

You're not wrong :)

I always chuckle when filling in insurance forms and get to the part where it asks for no. of seats err.... 2 usable and 2 for show :D

Anyway I've not entirely given up on the idea of lashing my dog to the back seats to get him to Billing, tried him in the footwell of the MR2 last year and got less than 2 miles before my wife was being crushed to death :D either that or its on the roof, or running along beside it (the dog, not the wife :D)