The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can aluminium tuner nuts be welded to remove them?

jim

I have a bit of a problem with my nuts :(

I've got a set of aluminium light weight nuts and when I went to remove a wheel today I discovered that one of the nuts has cracked/split and I can't get it off. They're internal drive nuts, and I've tried the 'key' as well as a slightly larger bit but it's not happening. I also tried a vice grip on it to hold it 'closed' whilst trying to remove it but that's not working either.

I've done a search and found some info on welding them to get them off but I'm not sure if this can be done on aluminium nuts?

I've also seen references to drilling them out, has anyone done this and would it be possible to post a 'step by step' how to please?

Ta very much! :)

If you can get to them with a tig torch to weld then its possible the heat from the welding might help removing it too. (but might also damage the paint on the wheel)

Have you tried to make or adapt a tool to tap/hammer into the wheel nut being as it is scrap anyway

one other method to try is get a large drift and hit the end of the nut hard several times, this will squash the nut taper against the wheel very slightly so it becomes looser if you see what i mean, then try again with the key, good luck regards chris

If you can get to them with a tig torch to weld then its possible the heat from the welding might help removing it too. (but might also damage the paint on the wheel)

Have you tried to make or adapt a tool to tap/hammer into the wheel nut being as it is scrap anyway

I'm resigned to the fact that I'm probably going to need to get the wheel powdercoated again after I get the nut off. :(

Do you mean something to tap into it to try to break it John? Would i be able to remove it more easily if it's broken into pieces or is that just going to make it worse?

one other method to try is get a large drift and hit the end of the nut hard several times, this will squash the nut taper against the wheel very slightly so it becomes looser if you see what i mean, then try again with the key, good luck regards chris

Cheers Chris, but the key's just turning freely as the crack has made it wider, if I hit it it's probably going to break.

happened to me a while back jim. one off me nuts broke clean off and had to drill it out was not nice!! then had to puta new wheel stud in as it was a mess after!! gd luck

Andy

Did you drill it out yourself Andy, or if not I don't suppose you watched them doing it bud? If so, can you describe what you/they did please to give me a bit of an idea?

This is why i refuse to use aluminium tuner nuts!

There to weak compared to steel nuts.

Get yourself some quality nuts like mcgard spline drive!

Not enough research I guess Martin, they weren't cheap ones and I spent money on them getting them anodised too, I just assumed they would be better.

Not your fault mate. :)

Alot of people seem to go for weaker nuts odly to try and save a small amount of weight :blink:

I think you could get some ultralite steel nuts for a £1 at one stage, they would be better.

The only problem with welding to ali is you may melt the nut and make things worse for yourself. Try and get some wheel nut removal sockets

Which Ally tuner nuts were they? I have some Volk ones on mine, been fine :)

Is it possible to get a socket of approx the same same as the outer diameter and knock it on, then use that to remove? They are scrap as you say now, so not important if it wrecks the nut, as long as it doesnt damage the wheel. Depends if they are slim enough to get the wall of a socket down.

Stupid time of year for it to happen too, it'll be Wednesday before I can get anything anyways. I'll look up the ultralites, ta!

The problem with sockets is that there's not a lot of room to work with as the recess for the nut is very narrow Rob. I'll check though on the off chance that there's one that will be slim enough to fit, cheers. I'd love the volks, they're very nice!

Edited by jim (see edit history)

I had to use one off these in the end jim allthough abit smaller. bought two of them and got drilling. make sure to lube up :)! it lets the stud go up the middle of it but still needed to get a new stud there only 2 quid or so!! tryed smaller sockets and chizzaling it but this worked as much as i didnt wanna go near my wheels with it it only scrached the paint that will be behind the wheel nut again!!

Andy

can you get a pic of it as im not quite sure what you mean, id go for what Rob says first try a socket that will bang onto it make sure all the other nuts on the wheel are loose before you try to undo it.

by internal drive i take it they have a hole in the middle to take the key can you not use a torx bit thats just over size that will tap down the middle this should dig into the ally for a good bite or an allen key

Thanks again for all the replies guys, got it sorted today (took all of 30 seconds, I feel a bit stupid for asking now!).

For anyone that's interested and for the benefit of future searches on the topic, I was able to get it off using Rob's suggestion, simple really - I hammered on a socket over the outside of the nut then used a brace to remove it. Managed to get it off without damaging the stud or powder coating at all too.

just an idea can you get a piece of cds pipe thats a tight fit, and hammer that over the nut. Once this is on there tightly use the spline key to remove it. In theory the cds pipe will hold the crack in tight allowing you to remove it.

• 2 months later...
This is why i refuse to use aluminium tuner nuts!

There to weak compared to steel nuts.

Get yourself some quality nuts like mcgard spline drive!

Where did you get these from ? looking for a set for Blitz 03's.