The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing el-glo dials???

Supra Gaz

Ok, I have had a beautiful set of dials from Thor racing made for me, having peeled off the dashboard and having broken everyone of my nails I have installed them by placing them over the dials that's are already in place as recommended on several threads.

The previous owner had installed some el-glo dials from visual performance which seem to self glow themselves ( hence the name I guess) while I popped the dials in a didn't see any bulbs in the dash to light the numbers, but being optomistic I put the car back together and just went outside (now it's dark) to survey the glory of my achievment and found that half my numbers arnt lit up because the el glo dials do not light up that section, so to my question (at last) can I put the bulbs back in where they were removed and they will work without me having to majorly fudge around? If anyone has any ideas let me know as I am losing my mind with this!!!!!

Cheers

ps can't belive chingy is selling his car!!!!

Why didn't you just remove the elglow dials and put some bulbs in?

The reason for saying to put the new dials over the old ones is to keep it simple. Having 3 sets is getting a bit much though :)

I would if I knew how? Can I just break the solder here there connected or will I permanently bugger it up?

Ps will get pics tomorrow

Found this thread and they don't mention any soldering.

The original faces will be soldered on, the elglows should just be over the top of them which will be the same as you have now.

I pulled the original ones off, they are just plastic plates, I'm wondering what the hell these things I think are el glo's are, they are wired in to the car and have there own dimmer switch etc they also respond to the standard dimmer switch in the dash.

If I can just pop some bulbs back in does anyone know what size and fixings they require?

IMG_0406.JPG

Edited by Supra Gaz
Photo (see edit history)

They sound like el glo dials, they should be wired in but they shouldn't be soldered onto the dials.

To clarify, you have/had...

Elglo soldered on, then original dials on top of the elglo and then the new dials?

Most people have them

Original, elglo.

Wierd setup.

They sound like el glo dials, they should be wired in but they shouldn't be soldered onto the dials.

To clarify, you have/had...

Elglo soldered on, then original dials on top of the elglo and then the new dials?

Most people have them

Original, elglo.

Wierd setup.

sorry for the confusion, I had originals then el glo's, when I installed my new ones I took the originals out so now all I have are the el glos and new steel ones.

The el glos seem to be soldered into the control panel on the back so they react and light when I put the headlights on.

I think I'm going to try and find some bulbs and the harness they use and put them back in the assembly to see if they will still

work. Does anyone know the part numbers and bulb type?

Right, I think I am following here. The confusion is coming where you say they are soldered in. They aren't actually soldered in position, they are just wired into the dials? Yes?

If that is the case, take all the dials out and leave only the new ones in there. Cut the wire as close as you can to the solder (the wire that powers the elglo) and then just stick some bulbs in.

Job done :)

Right, I think I am following here. The confusion is coming where you say they are soldered in. They aren't actually soldered in position, they are just wired into the dials? Yes?

If that is the case, take all the dials out and leave only the new ones in there. Cut the wire as close as you can to the solder (the wire that powers the elglo) and then just stick some bulbs in.

Job done :)

Cool, sounds easier than I thought! I just need the part numbers now, I will give Toyota a call.

Thanks for everyone help

The missing bulbs are T5 and T10. I have the (older) dials you are replacing, and I need to replace my removed originals as the needles are not illuminated at night.

it seems you are doing the same as me. cheers for the bulb size, i will buy a shed load of them and see what goes where, i just need to get some of the bulb harness/holders now and thats the difficult part......

cheers