The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bedford track day - Saturday 3rd April

SteveR

Short notice but if anyone wanted to join in then I think there are a few places left:

http://www.easytrack.co.uk/product/Bedford_Autodrome_3_April_CBA030410

£199, extra drivers £25, passengers £10

-or-

http://www.trackdays.co.uk/book/bookEventDetails.aspx?event=4098

£189, extra drivers £50, passengers £10

Bedford's GT layout is either 3.6 or 4.1 miles long (the above websites disagree) - but it's long! It's also probably the least risky track to spin off, should you push your car too far - it's a proper tarmac surface but built on an old airfield so there isn't much to crash into. ;)

I won't be in the Supra, my mate and I are testing the MR2 I bought to go racing with. :)

Have you got an in-car camera? It'd be fun to watch if it did rain. ;)

I've got a setup intended for the Supra but haven't installed it yet.

If the last of our wiring loom removal goes well tomorrow I'll see if I can get it rigged up in the MR2.

You are aware of their moveable sound limits?

They have a pretty low noise level anyway (best check), but if the wind is in the right direction and they feel you are too noisy even though you passed the test they will black flag you for the day with no refund and no comeback.

I would be very certain you can stay below their noise levels on the day, and perhaps google for the info about the GTR day they had there a few years ago.

You are aware of their moveable sound limits?

They have a pretty low noise level anyway (best check), but if the wind is in the right direction and they feel you are too noisy even though you passed the test they will black flag you for the day with no refund and no comeback.

I would be very certain you can stay below their noise levels on the day, and perhaps google for the info about the GTR day they had there a few years ago.

Stock exhaust system. :)

Limits are

STATIC TEST: 101 dB

DRIVE-BY 87.5 dB

Have done quite a few track days at Bedford. A great track for the Supra especially the long straight where you can really stretch the legs of the car.

As has been said, very strict on the noise levels.

I've watched a few of big/little num's videos there and it seems to suit the Supra very well. not sure how the diddy MR2 will get on but as my mate has only done half a track day (in a 3 series) before and neither of us has put any miles on it, it seemed a good place to learn what's what.

I may go back in the Supra, pretty sure it's well under those noise limits despite the power, as I chose the quietest setup I could spec. :)

That is a shame, Bedford is an fast track and very forgiving. Not technically complex, but I think really well suited to the supra especially for BPU and above.

They are *really* strict with the noise regs :( It's not the track owners faults - blame the locals/council...

Went really well, the MR2 isn't a fast car on the straights (we maxed out at an indicated 120mph but Satnav suggests 10% overread so 108mph true) but it is nice and light and is easy to control even when driven very hard so we embarressed a few more expensive machines in the corners. My best kills of the day were a [badly driven] 911 C4S and a race prepped Saxo.

I'll load some photos up now...

Looked like you were pushing it dude, suspension abit soft?

Suspension is stock and although there is a fair bit of roll in those pictures I was pushing it very hard to find its limits and see what it did if I went too far. It's great to chuck about! Generally I'm happy with the handling but it doesn't like quickly changing direction; I span once when hunting for the limit and deliberately pushing my luck in the fast chicane not long after you join the track.

I'm sure the suspension/geo could be improved but as it is if you drive smoothly it rewards you with better lines/lap times. So I don't think we'll do anything to it as the improvements would only have made me perhaps 0.5~1 sec a lap quicker round Bedford. It's power it lacks. :(

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)