The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What starts up in the car after a few minutes?

bodilx6

I have a sound occuring only after the car has been running for a few minutes, unless it is fully warmed up. In that case the sound is there from startup. It comes gradually over a minutes time.

It sounds kind of like a "whirring" engine note or maybe like a waterpump going out (but I don't think so). It is rev dependant, but I can only hear it from the inside of the car. If is listen close to the drive belt, I hear nothing out of the ordinary. Also, if it should be belt driving, the sound *should* be there from a start...

Any thoughts? I'm worried it isn't any of the belt driven things as I can't hear anything like that sound if it put my head down there (by the fan & belt). I'm going to pull the belt tomorrow but how to diagnose if the sound is still there?

Thanks guys, I'll check..

power steering pump is my guess. It probably goes when the fluid is warmed up.

If it is the PS pump, will it make sounds even when the steering wheel isn't being turned? and sound independant of that and directly dependant of the engine revs?