The mkiv Supra Owners Club

wheel allignment - ive been slaughtered:(

L33

well there was only a couple of places mean me who would do the 4 wheel lazer allignment so i couldnt be to picky and was in a bit of a hurry as i fitted the r888s a bit sooner than i planned because of bald inside edge on old tyres!

i was recommended VW maindealer where i live so i took it there and was quoted 70 quid, not to bad i thought. dropped the car there friday and i had a call and they said the adjusters had seized will need a couple hours today to sort it and was quoted £212 at £95ph :(

well i had another phone call today saying they have being struggling to undo the adjusters and have been working on it for 3 hours so far and not quite finished loosening all the adjusters so had to finish that off then set up ect, can i pick up tomo! now im no expert but over 3 hours to loosen rusty stuff? when i had tracking done the other week they had sprays and big blow torch things to loosen stuff and that was just a tyre place?! are they not milking this a bit

so basically im expecting a bill of over £300 just to get my wheels alligned! really not happy! i didnt plan on needing tyres so had to buy them, didnt relise the camber was as bad as it was even tho its on stock suspension and my defi control box has messed up so had to buy another one of those!!

seems the closer the mag shoot gets the more that goes wrong! getting my front bumper sprayed weekend because of lacker peel and also changing my standard front splitter for another one as i cracked mine :(

i mite change the mag feature to a forsale ad the amount of crap ive had with this car!!!

Edited by L33 (see edit history)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of mine wouldnt budge and had to be cut off no matter what we tried and we had everything, blowtorch, freezing them, impact shocking them 3ft breaker bars etc etc

I imagine the adjusters there having problems with are the eccentric adjusters for the camber and nothing to do with tracking so when you had the tracking done they didnt touch these, did they just track up the front wheels ?

The only bit youve been raped on is the hourly rate of £95

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

edit: i changed the rape bit thought that was a bit rude

yea only had tracking done in the past to front wheels thats why i took it for the allignment to save my tyres and the state of the inside edges! also i think that may of been the problem behind a aggressive rear end under acceleration

i no the camber hasnt been touched before but just thought the tracking procedure of loosening bits would of applied here but obviously not if you have had the same problems :(

im now living on £200 until the 23rd when i get paid again! bad times!!

edit: i changed the rape bit thought that was a bit rude

yea only had tracking done in the past to front wheels thats why i took it for the allignment to save my tyres and the state of the inside edges! also i think that may of been the problem behind a aggressive rear end under acceleration

i no the camber hasnt been touched before but just thought the tracking procedure of loosening bits would of applied here but obviously not if you have had the same problems :(

im now living on £200 until the 23rd when i get paid again! bad times!!

Sorry to say it mate but you are in the same boat i was when i did mine so fingers crossed they un sieze them, theres also adjusters for the rear track as well.

I ended up ripping the lot off and fitted all new wishbones tie rods adjusters, infact just about everything, just short ot £2ks worth :( + the labour and the full geo after:(

Transformed the car though and i thought it was pretty good before :) even on silly 19's lol

Sorry to say it mate but you are in the same boat i was when i did mine so fingers crossed they un sieze them, theres also adjusters for the rear track as well.

I ended up ripping the lot off and fitted all new wishbones tie rods adjusters, infact just about everything, just short ot £2ks worth :( + the labour and the full geo after:(

Transformed the car though and i thought it was pretty good before :) even on silly 19's lol

:run:

Welcome to single Supra servicing costs.

i guess when every thing is done it will be ok, just having to put bodged bit right and every thing going wrong at once its draining every penny i have!

still chin up i guess i will get there!

Rear adjusters are all rusted/seized on my NA too, went down to Wheels in Motion yesterday and we couldn't free them up. Fronts were just fine.

I'm going to have a shot at freeing them up, but from various conversations it looks like I may be cutting them off and replacing in the near future. :(

vw service is SICKENING! in the repair department anyway! Refuse to pay! i would request to see CCTV (they will have it) and i would expect no to walk away from the car for 3 hours unless getting a different tool!

I WOULD ADVICE ANYONE TO NEVER TAKE A CAR TO A VW DEALER!! Im not goin to get into the problems i got from them with the corrado! When i gave a rant on the corrado forum a shocking amount of people aggreed with discusting lies and money grabbing ways!

I really hope u get something sorted bud, i really do!

When I got my suspension parts swapped they had to oxycut off one of the wishbones as the bolt wouldn't undo. Bizarrely, once it was cut, the bolt was perfectly OK and could be reused - it was simply gripped that tight by the inner sleeve :blink:

It took the guys at SCA near me about 13 hours to change them all - they discounted the labour rate for me but it was still something like £700. Got charged for two metal saw blades as well, strangely proud of that :D

Tracking only is no use at all really, these cars are very sensitive to toe and camber and all that malarkey. This stuff can get shifted through potholes and speed bumps and so forth. If it's really never been done since you bought the car you might find a rather pleasant improvement in the drive of the car once it's done :)

vw service is SICKENING! in the repair department anyway! Refuse to pay! i would request to see CCTV (they will have it) and i would expect no to walk away from the car for 3 hours unless getting a different tool!

I WOULD ADVICE ANYONE TO NEVER TAKE A CAR TO A VW DEALER!! Im not goin to get into the problems i got from them with the corrado! When i gave a rant on the corrado forum a shocking amount of people aggreed with discusting lies and money grabbing ways!

I really hope u get something sorted bud, i really do!

they have a huge show window and cctv, so i will feel a bit rude saying i want to see it and make out there lying when they no its being recorded?

i stil cant get over 95 ph!!

i really hope they cant get it all done or else there is no way i can afford to get bits replaced, or for them to do it!!

im hoping it will be a much better drive after all this and hopefully can get the most out the r888s and actually get the power down and not snake all over the place on boost!

seized adjusters = big bill , quite easy to spend all day cutting bolts to remove suspension, if they have 'freed' off they have prob torn the centres out the bushes which are now useless and will still need the bolts cutting to get new ones in, sorry dude !!!!

seized adjusters = big bill , quite easy to spend all day cutting bolts to remove suspension, if they have 'freed' off they have prob torn the centres out the bushes which are now useless and will still need the bolts cutting to get new ones in, sorry dude !!!!

:yeahthat:

Although usualy if theres an issue like this we take the car back off the ramp and dont carry out the work unless told to

:yeahthat:

Although usualy if theres an issue like this we take the car back off the ramp and dont carry out the work unless told to

well they carried on, and said on the phone they will be able to do it and should finish tonight?

so mayb they had got the things all undone when they rang?

we take the car back off the ramp and dont carry out the work unless told to

That's the minimum I'd expect from any garage, especially a main VW dealer :(

I had a few issues with them when I took my old Bora in last year, but only them taking ages starting the work, thankfully nothing costly.

As has been said above its very easy to split the rubber bushes from their steel inserts in the wishbones when trying to get the adjusters undone, then your into new arms or the cheaper not so good option of a polybush kit.

Hence i just got the mastercard out and called Steve Manley

well they carried on, and said on the phone they will be able to do it and should finish tonight?

so mayb they had got the things all undone when they rang?

Possibly but if it takes more than an hour or 2 to perform a geometry, unless instructed to by the owner, they should of stopped work realy and contacted you..

We charge 2 hours labour for a geometry setup, the 1st hour just covers the geometry and the 2nd for any difficult adjusters, if they wont budge then the car comes back off the ramp and customer informed.

Main dealer labour rates are always expensive, audi is at about £130 an hour at the minute :blink: