The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello from Finland!

Guest Joni

Hi all!

My name is Joni and i'm 26 years old guy from the ever sunny Finland :D

I have owned few imports before and i'm currently looking for a Supra of course :)

I have previusly owned a 93´ RX-7, 1992 GTi-R and a 1996 Legacy GT-B TT.

It's a shame that the Finnish tax systems forces me to look for the early 93-94 models. As i'm just an average guy, i really need to look for the cheaper TT models out there. The taxing on newer imports is so stupid that i don't dare to tell you...but i'll tell you that it is above 6k € easily...and that's on top of the cars price + shipping to Finland...so..:D

I have noticed that there is huge amount of auto boxed models available at Piston Heads.

Is this a price reason or what?

I'm a little scared to buy an auto supra as i wasn't too pleased on the Subarus auto, as it was slowish, and basically undrivable on track as it didn't shift down as i wanted etc etc.

Is this the case with the Supras auto aswell? I saw few topics about the auto box, but still i'm not 100%.

Hi joni and welcome,

With never owning an auto car before the Supra but driving a few I in my opinion think the auto box on the Supra is great.... some dont. Its each to their own I guess but I love the auto box. You really need to go and try one if dubiuos, but I guess they are quite rare in Finland anyway, good luck with the search

Hi joni and welcome,

With never owning an auto car before the Supra but driving a few I in my opinion think the auto box on the Supra is great.... some dont. Its each to their own I guess but I love the auto box. You really need to go and try one if dubiuos, but I guess they are quite rare in Finland anyway, good luck with the search

There is few for sale and i have driven one N/A auto...Not sure, but i'm pretty sure you can't compare N/A auto and TT auto

Guest SupraGTE

Terve Joni :)

one way to skip the tax is like my mates in Finland has done, they bought a NA in england and throwed the backseat out and posted it :) and putted at TT lump in the car as NA tax was only 1300e approx , then changed at home :)

they drove home to Finland the car in 2 days, one night in malmö is all you need, i did the 1800km in one go to stockholm and then viking line from there to helsinki in 18 h easy so it is posssible :), the toll on bridges in denmark and to sweden is 65e not bad :)

need any advice pm me cheers

Morjens! :D

I suggest TT auto, quite cheap in finland + tax is not so high compared to na anymore.

I was looking at those that are available in Nettiauto.

I think i want to import one from the UK or other EU country. Not that there is bad on Finnish importers, but i get it cheaper in most cases and i remember last time when i was planning another RX-7, i found out that the importers here have no freaking idea of the rotary engine what so ever :D Aaaand..that's not a good thing when the buyer knows more of these than the seller really. Atleast when it's a company. I know there is good importers here and i have been working with one very good guy here in Helsinki area :) He sold me my rex and Subaru :)

If i only knew someone near helsinki with auto TT, i would deffo ask for a test drive to see how it goes

Terve Joni :)

one way to skip the tax is like my mates in Finland has done, they bought a NA in england and throwed the backseat out and posted it :) and putted at TT lump in the car as NA tax was only 1300e approx , then changed at home :)

they drove home to Finland the car in 2 days, one night in malmö is all you need, i did the 1800km in one go to stockholm and then viking line from there to helsinki in 18 h easy so it is posssible :), the toll on bridges in denmark and to sweden is 65e not bad :)

need any advice pm me cheers

Terve to you too :)

That is something that didn't really come to my mind.

Do you have any idea of the procedure of swapping from na to tt?

What does it need, other than the engine + intercooler +loom and ecu? Are the brakes etc the same on the na?

Guest SupraGTE

the brakes on an NA and Jspec TT is the same, i would say easiest/cheapest is to buy a auto NA and a complete TT engine with loom with an auto box,

i would guess just out of the air

3000gbp a decent NA

2000gbp engine and gearbox

1300e tax

300gbp intercooler

300gpbdiff and prop(not really needed but recomended)

so say 7000 running , i would only say it is worth if you do the job yourself or have friend doing it , you will find much info on this forum regarding engine swap....it is easy :)

im just on my way to drive a Na supra to Ingå :)

the brakes on an NA and Jspec TT is the same, i would say easiest/cheapest is to buy a auto NA and a complete TT engine with loom with an auto box,

i would guess just out of the air

3000gbp a decent NA

2000gbp engine and gearbox

1300e tax

300gbp intercooler

300gpbdiff and prop(not really needed but recomended)

so say 7000 running , i would only say it is worth if you do the job yourself or have friend doing it , you will find much info on this forum regarding engine swap....it is easy :)

im just on my way to drive a Na supra to Ingå :)

Oh are you driving cars to finland huh? Ingå = Inkoo :)

What about Na manual to TT manual. will the box be a straight fit aswell?

I'm not worried about fitting etc. I have built few cars from every single nut so it's not a new thing :D

I wouldn't even consider anything like this without proper echanic knowledge on this type of cars. It would be horrible :D

Guest SupraGTE

Yes Inkoo :)

yes the box will fit directly but im not familiar how the 5spd hadles the TT power, put if you go for a 6spd NA it is a different story :)

the swap is easy it self, really easy, if you have some technical knowledge it will go quick, just keep away from the Lapin kulta when doing it :)... or maybe just a few :)

a weekend and a garage and it is done, probably can do it in a few hours but a weekend and all parts is what i would say normal

are you Finnish or swedish speaking? or both :)

Oh are you driving cars to finland huh? Ingå = Inkoo :)

What about Na manual to TT manual. will the box be a straight fit aswell?

I'm not worried about fitting etc. I have built few cars from every single nut so it's not a new thing :D

I wouldn't even consider anything like this without proper echanic knowledge on this type of cars. It would be horrible :D

hi joni,personally i like the 6 speed manual ,but there the auto is good to.

Yeah. I had the choise of taking my RX-7 as an auto...never took the chance. And i loved the manual.

I have been racing for 20 years in the past (Go karts) so the speedy cornering etc is deffo for me :)

Still, i liked the Subarus auto box when i was just cruising around. I have to think about this one.

It's sad that there is very little those slightly crashed cars available that have cosmetic failure, like a cracked bumper etc. i would easily take one of those. As long as the chassis is perfect. No one want's a car that wobbles etc.

I'm a car painter so cosmetics are a piece of cake :)

It will be cheaper to get a genuine TT model than making a TT from an NA model. Especially now when the taxing on NA models are very close to TT models. Sometimes the taxing is even more on NA models. Go figure. After the engine swap there's always the inspection (muutoskatsastus) the car has to pass. So not really worth it when you think it through.

The AT is good but in the end the 6spd is the only way to go. ;)

Guest SupraGTE
It will be cheaper to get a genuine TT model than making a TT from an NA model. Especially now when the taxing on NA models are very close to TT models. Sometimes the taxing is even more on NA models. Go figure. After the engine swap there's always the inspection (muutoskatsastus) the car has to pass. So not really worth it when you think it through.

Hi Vase

have the tax rules changed after new year? you are right ,it is only worth it if doing all self or want to do it in 2 steps like one year na next year TT , depends what is the goal for the car also imo, if he is planning aftermarket brakes, coilovers etc in future

my friend Kristian found one NA aerotop black 1993 for 2300gbp, tt engine for 1900e with turbos and loom and autobox, and he taxed 1340e for it :) think he managed all on 6500e budget

Yeah you know our customs...LOL. and todays lottery numbers are...:D

The reason why i'm looking for a Supra now, is the fact that the prices have been dropping ALOT recently. i remember the times when i had my Rx, the supra had taxes over 7k or so.

It's still funny, when i taxed my Legacy, i had to pay less than 650 tax on it. now as people have imported them, and put up for sale with those sky high prices, the customs seem to tax them around 2500€.

It's so stupid that Nettiauto (the finnish piston heads) is the place where the customs take the prices, because people are keeping the high prices just to get others pay more.

There is no doubt about that fact.

This can be seen on the Skylines easily. Someone buys a tax free R33 gtst for lets say..4500. They reg it and throw it for sale. 9000 -11 000 euros. Like the taxing and registering doubles the value. :rolleyes:

I see it more like a bad thing to do, but it's needed. it doesn't make the car more expensive, other than the tax on top of the tax free price.

In the end..i found my self selling the rx-7 for 9000 and i payed 7400 of it + tax of 3100 + registering and all conversions etc.

So what it's life :)

I think the guy had a good car for a reasonable price tag.

I was also thinking about the R43 GT-T, but not sure about the glass e-marks etc that could be a pain when registering. The Nissan community seems to have two words: use search (That won't work on their forum usually :D)

Also people at the Nissan community in Finland seems to have those BIG secrets that is not good for anybody really. Sorry for them really.

Hi Vase

have the tax rules changed after new year? you are right ,it is only worth it if doing all self or want to do it in 2 steps like one year na next year TT , depends what is the goal for the car also imo, if he is planning aftermarket brakes, coilovers etc in future

my friend Kristian found one NA aerotop black 1993 for 2300gbp, tt engine for 1900e with turbos and loom and autobox, and he taxed 1340e for it :) think he managed all on 6500e budget

he was pretty lucky!

But the taxes have come down. It usually depends on those cars that are fpr sale here, as our customs take the reference prices of them. So...as long as people are asking 30k for a 1994 Tt, there is no hope to get one taxed cheap really.

Now i see that there is quite a many N/A's for sale at Nettiauto.

there is a reason. They fit the budget of many young drivers here and the mechanical side is much more simple

I speak Finnish and very good English. My writing has some errors coz i write pretty fast usually, so there may be a letter missing etc.

My swedish is more or less rusted, but i can speak it when my Big Mac depends of it at McDonald´s restaurant in Stockholm :D

Hi Vase

The taxing has always been a crap shoot. You never know what you will get. From the past few months the taxes for NA supra has been anywhere from 1000eur to 4000eur.

As one can get a TT auto for £5000 from pistonheads it's not really worth doing the swap. After getting a TT engine, rear end, drive axels?, drive shaft etc it may become costly.

However, as you said it might be worth it if you're going to modify the car anyway.

The taxing has always been a crap shoot. You never know what you will get. From the past few months the taxes for NA supra has been anywhere from 1000eur to 4000eur.

As one can get a TT auto for £5000 from pistonheads it's not really worth doing the swap. After getting a TT engine, rear end, drive axels?, drive shaft etc it may become costly.

However, as you said it might be worth it if you're going to modify the car anyway.

Well i'm looking around. Horry is not a good thing at these things you know.

I bet the dream one will pop up. Do you know many routes to get the car to Finland from UK these days? I got my Pulsar with some help of a friend who lives in Sussex. He is all british guy and he went to see the car and bought it and then the shipping company picked it up from him and shipped to Turku. that cost a bit tho.

The car was shipped from Harwich by MannLines.

I think i'm sticking on the TT manual now. I don't wanna disappoint my self really.

I have to learn a bit of the mechanical side of the engine as i have been on the Rotaries for a while now and a little on the Boxers aswell :D

I'm the type of guy that usually learns every damn bit of the engine and related things of the car that one owns. I think it's good coz when you know your ride, you can drive it more secure.

Edited by Joni (see edit history)

Well i'm looking around. Horry is not a good thing at these things you know.

I bet the dream one will pop up. Do you know many routes to get the car to Finland from UK these days? I got my Pulsar with some help of a friend who lives in Sussex. He is all british guy and he went to see the car and bought it and then the shipping company picked it up from him and shipped to Turku. that cost a bit tho.

The car was shipped from Harwich by MannLines.

I think i'm sticking on the TT manual now. I don't wanna disappoint my self really.

I have to learn a bit of the mechanical side of the engine as i have been on the Rotaries for a while now and a little on the Boxers aswell :D

I'm the type of guy that usually learns every damn bit of the engine and related things of the car that one owns. I think it's good coz when you know your ride, you can drive it more secure.

The supra is very strong (although mine exploded :D) and fast. Parts are not that expensive either. The 6spd is the one to go for if you can afford to get one. Otherwise get the AT model - it's not bad either. There's nothing from japan that can beat a supra in the highway if both cars have bpu modifications. Well except the new GTR and such but you don't see those very often here. Like you I have had some jdm cars in the past (R32vspec, 200sx etc.) and supra is by far the best one yet. No contest.

Sadly I don't know much about importing cars from the UK since I've always bought mine from japan.

Btw I got 9000eur taxes for my supra a couple of years ago. :D

Guest SupraGTE

i always drive uk-belgium sleep :) -netherlands-germany-denmark-sweden (malmö, sleep)-stockholm- vinking line---->helsinki or extreme belgium stockholm with 2 stops of coffe and toilett 17,5h :)

shipping was with finnlines from antwerp to helsinki around 700e

The supra is very strong (although mine exploded :D) and fast. Parts are not that expensive either. The 6spd is the one to go for if you can afford to get one. Otherwise get the AT model - it's not bad either. There's nothing from japan that can beat a supra in the highway if both cars have bpu modifications. Well except the new GTR and such but you don't see those very often here. Like you I have had some jdm cars in the past (R32vspec, 200sx etc.) and supra is by far the best one yet. No contest.

Sadly I don't know much about importing cars from the UK since I've always bought mine from japan.

Btw I got 9000eur taxes for my supra a couple of years ago. :D

Haha nice tax man! I would hang my self after receiving that amount LOL.

Yah i like'd the RX-7. So good one up here because it's emission test free and the stock handling is AMAZING. The dark side is the fact that my car only had intake + exhaust and a little boost, it ate my wallet!! the fuel consumption was so horrible, that i couldn't even go to work with it. it took like 15 liters per 100km's minimum. it was so horrible. Comparing to the GT-B Legacy and my 350+ hp GTi-R together...it was still worse :D

I know these eat, but the rotary is the winner :D:D. Damn man!

I just had a look at PH and there were like 0 manuals that fit my budget. I'm trying to fit it at 10 000 Euros taxed, or very close.

Sad that i don't know anyone here that has a Supra. I tested Parkko's (you might know him) red na when he had it for sale a year or so back. That wasn't too nice, but na is na and is sluggish.

i haven't imported from japan my self, but would be interested if someone else makes the paperwork etc, or helps a little. Specially, where to buy etc. I know tha basic trade car views etc, but there must be someting better as TCV has a little bad reputation i think.

Edited by Joni (see edit history)

I just had a look at PH and there were like 0 manuals that fit my budget. I'm trying to fit it at 10 000 Euros taxed, or very close.

Sad that i don't know anyone here that has a Supra. I tested Parkko's (you might know him) red na when he had it for sale a year or so back. That wasn't too nice, but na is na and is sluggish.

i haven't imported from japan my self, but would be interested if someone else makes the paperwork etc, or helps a little. Specially, where to buy etc. I know tha basic trade car views etc, but there must be someting better as TCV has a little bad reputation i think.

Yes I know pparkko quite well. I bought my supra from him and I have helped him pick up some jdm cars from hanko harbour.

If you want to import a car from japan but don't like the paper work you might want to contact http://www.mamasan.fi. I know the guys personally and they are quite good.