The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Refurbing J-spec brakes

Digsy

I'll be refurbing a set of J-spec brakes soon. I'm looking to strip down the caliper assemblies and fit refurb kits from Toyota, but before I rebuild them I want to pretty up the castings.

If anyone has done a J-spec refurb then the benefit of your advice before I start would be cool.

On the prettying up front, what do you think would give the best and most durable finish? I was thinking of getting them powdercoated and laquered but I've been advised to go for the Halfrauds style two part enamel stuff, although I have heard this can chip.

TIA.

I used some Halfords caliper paint to do mine, it has chipped off around the edges. Still looks ok though...

Are you refurbing the calipers to stop them seizing? I was told by someone in the know that the refurb kits are a waste of time and to just buy some new calipers. I doubt they cost a lot.

Mine have stopped seizing now i'm using the car more :)

I was told by someone in the know that the refurb kits are a waste of time and to just buy some new calipers. I doubt they cost a lot.

Just replaced one of the rear calipers on my jspec, it cost £186 +vat from Toyota :eek:

Dan.

Originally posted by outatime

IAre you refurbing the calipers to stop them seizing? I was told by someone in the know that the refurb kits are a waste of time and to just buy some new calipers. I doubt they cost a lot.

I had a piston stick about 6 months ago but I managed to free it off by pushing it fully back, then extending it, then pushing it back again. SO far (touch wood) it hasn't re-stuck.

BUT:

As part of a general car tarting up mini-project I want to pretty up my brakes. I have bought a full set of J-spec brakes to work on so I don't have to take my car off the road at all. Since I'll strip them down to repaint them it just seemed logical to rebuild them with refurb kits rather than the old parts.

Plus a nice coat of something.