The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS Super Drager or RS*R on a single?

Jamesy

Just wondered which will be the loudest and best performing?

The HKS is a 3" bore whereas the RS*R is 2.5"

I want it as loud as possible - had the HKS Super Drager on my old bpu and it was as quiet as stock - but have heard on a single its loud as hell.

The RS*R is loud now, so will that get even louder on a single?

If anyones driven a single with either (or both ) of these please let me know so i know which one to put on :D

Muchos :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RS*R on single 61mm turbo, with screamer pipe (didn't think it was 2.5" though!):

Quiet vid, turn volume up quite loud :)

If you want LOUD, go with a Boostlogic 4" one.

Nice :cool:

so the RS*R is a 3" bore is it? im sure when i went to pick mine up from Wayne @ SPC it was a 2.5" bore.....

Would love the BL one - but my DP and MP is 3".

Given the choice i'd have Jamie's Ti one, but for now just curious as to the best and/or loudest out of the 2 i have at the minute :)

Hi mate, ive got the Dragger on a T61. I love the sound of it, its definetly louder than the Dragger i had on my previous bpu supra.

As with most Draggers, mine rotted around where the hanger was (not sure if they are stainless if you buy them these days or not?) Rather than replace it i had that section cut out, which also removed one of the silencers in the system, and had a stainless section welded in. Its been absolutely fine ever since. The car was very slightly louder after this, not a great deal, but noticeable if you had driven the car before.

What i like about the Dragger is it can be quiet (ish) on motorway journeys at cruise within the car, but from what i have been told is quite loud outside and very loud when flooring it

The only reason i will change it is when/if, nah when :) i fit a shine diffuser

You would be more than welcome to pop over and come out in the car if you wanted to hear it as i dont think you are hugely far from me in Shere?

Christian

I have a Drager on my BPU, and I will want to change it I think - I have early starts and when you switch her on from cold it's pretty loud, and has a deep rumble which I'm sure the neighbours are not too appreciative of!

I agree with Stonkin though, at motorway speeds I find it fine. It's only when starting up and accelerating (even at low speeds around the village) I find the noise is loud.

Hi mate, ive got the Dragger on a T61. I love the sound of it, its definetly louder than the Dragger i had on my previous bpu supra.

As with most Draggers, mine rotted around where the hanger was (not sure if they are stainless if you buy them these days or not?) Rather than replace it i had that section cut out, which also removed one of the silencers in the system, and had a stainless section welded in. Its been absolutely fine ever since. The car was very slightly louder after this, not a great deal, but noticeable if you had driven the car before.

What i like about the Dragger is it can be quiet (ish) on motorway journeys at cruise within the car, but from what i have been told is quite loud outside and very loud when flooring it

The only reason i will change it is when/if, nah when :) i fit a shine diffuser

You would be more than welcome to pop over and come out in the car if you wanted to hear it as i dont think you are hugely far from me in Shere?

Christian

nice one thanx mate - if im ever near you i will give you a shout for a "listen"!! ;)

I have a Drager on my BPU, and I will want to change it I think - I have early starts and when you switch her on from cold it's pretty loud, and has a deep rumble which I'm sure the neighbours are not too appreciative of!

I agree with Stonkin though, at motorway speeds I find it fine. It's only when starting up and accelerating (even at low speeds around the village) I find the noise is loud.

Thanx mate - my super drager on my bpu was sooo quiet i hated it, but "if" its loud on a single it would interest me more.

although i am thinking the RS*R will be even louder?!

The point I was making was having a 2.5" exhaust system in a single turbo supra is silly. Most people run 3" minimum and usually the 4" mark for the more serious installs. I'm surprised that you don't know this information even though you have been on here for a while and you are in fact going down this route. The lack of understanding and knowledge, as well as the lack of investigation on your part regarding what you are carrying out (hi stall, exhaust, etc) would make me worry that maintaining a single will cost a LOT of money due to not doing any of the work yourself. People can also tell you anything and you wouldn't know any different.

FWIW I don't think your RSR is 2.5", I would be surprised if it is. Mine is the GT2 full stainless and it is 3.25".

i think its a bit misleading to think of a superdragger as a true 3" exhaust, yes the rear section is big but where it joins the second cat (or decat pipe) it narrows down to just under 2.5" (61mm from memory), i think this is one of the reasons they are relatively quiet

I wouldn't worry too much about whether the exhaust is loud enough, when the wastegate opens you will effectively have a 1 foot long exhaust loud enough to wake the dead.

:D sounds like heaven!!!!!

I must ask, why as loud as possible? are you a max power boy secretly jamesy? :p

Lol na mate i just like the sound of a loud deep powerful supra. Not a peco big bore 4 on a nova!!! :p

I must ask, why as loud as possible? are you a max power boy secretly jamesy? :p

I like loud, louder the better but if you want to do track days or Vmax type event then you are stuffed.

I would not consider 2.5", id not go below 4" myself on a single turbo car but many will say 3" are fine, its just my opinion.

I changed to 3" for a short while and it killed the performance on mine, felt so much slower in the higher gears.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether the exhaust is loud enough, when the wastegate opens you will effectively have a 1 foot long exhaust loud enough to wake the dead.

I agree, once the wastegate opens I cant hear anything other than that screaming, makes your ears bleed with the window down :D

The point I was making was having a 2.5" exhaust system in a single turbo supra is silly. Most people run 3" minimum and usually the 4" mark for the more serious installs. I'm surprised that you don't know this information even though you have been on here for a while and you are in fact going down this route. The lack of understanding and knowledge, as well as the lack of investigation on your part regarding what you are carrying out (hi stall, exhaust, etc) would make me worry that maintaining a single will cost a LOT of money due to not doing any of the work yourself. People can also tell you anything and you wouldn't know any different.

FWIW I don't think your RSR is 2.5", I would be surprised if it is. Mine is the GT2 full stainless and it is 3.25".

Erm .....

First off mate i've never claimed to be a mechanic of engine wizard. I am happy with the people i have around me working on my car and have full trust in them. I'd rather a specialst worked on it than bodging it myself.

How do people learn about these sort of conversions without asking a few questions?

All i was asking was if people had any experience of these 2 exhausts on a single - i mentioned 2.5" on the rsr as thats what i was told by SPC but if its bigger then great.

Im not going into this with my eyes closed ive spent ages and ages researching it.