The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Warning (MIL) light always on.. no stored codes

PaulD76

Hi All....

Yesterday I noticed the hazard MIL light came on permanently. I have not noticed this before so assume its just developed and not gradually appeared (e.g flickering on for a bit). I havent driven it for about 1 week.

I tried self diagnosis by connecting the pins, but the orange engine light just flashes constantly along with the o/d button. This indicates (based on what ive read) that there are no stored error codes.

If this is the case, how can I diagnose it? I thought 'if' the ecu was reset the codes would be erased but then new ones would be created as the problem was found again..

Not sure if its a conicidence, but recently I had the pads replaced and caliper changed. Maybe low brake fluid?

I drove it about 2 miles and it drove very nicely.. any suggestions? I did search but couldnt find advice on "no error" codes. It is due a service also.

96 NA SZ - no mods..

Hi All....

Yesterday I noticed the hazard MIL light came on permanently. I have not noticed this before so assume its just developed and not gradually appeared (e.g flickering on for a bit). I havent driven it for about 1 week.

I tried self diagnosis by connecting the pins, but the orange engine light just flashes constantly along with the o/d button. This indicates (based on what ive read) that there are no stored error codes.

If this is the case, how can I diagnose it? I thought 'if' the ecu was reset the codes would be erased but then new ones would be created as the problem was found again..

Not sure if its a conicidence, but recently I had the pads replaced and caliper changed. Maybe low brake fluid?

I drove it about 2 miles and it drove very nicely.. any suggestions? I did search but couldnt find advice on "no error" codes. It is due a service also.

96 NA SZ - no mods..

Does the handrake light come on as well? If so I would definitley be looking at the fluid level/sensor.

Hey Shane, yes the handbrake light does come on. I will check the fluid level for the brakes. Is the sensor something I can check myself?

Yes, basically its a float switch, but I cant remember if it's open or closed circuit when the fluid is low. try pulling off one of the connectors and see if the light goes out, if it stays on then try linking the two with a paper clip or peice of wire. If it goes out then the problem is in this area.

Hey

I checked the brake fluid level and it looked fine, the fluid also didnt look too dark. I disconnected the sensor and the problem went away.. with it connected it came back. so i guess thats my problem.

Does that mean the sensor needs to be replaced? and is that something I can do or a garage job?

I assume its quite safe to drive if the brakes seem ok and the fluid level is high? thanks!

Well i disconnected the connector that goes into the brake fluid resevoir and the light went off, i checked the connector brielfy and it seemed cleaned so I know the problem is here but not sure what it is.

I cannot seem to find a supra brake fluid sensor to buy online.. do I need to take it to a garaage? The fluid level seems right at the top so i dont think any more can go in... odd that i recently had some brake work done. maybe its related?

any suggestions before I call up the garage? I have spent a long time searching but no luck :(

Put even more brake fluid in :D These are notoriously oversensitive to anything less than maximum.

He not speaking with fork tongue!

They always seem to appear full, but when you start to top up you will be amazed how much it will take. When parked on level ground the level appears much higher than when parked with the front of the car pointing downhill due to the dual cavities in the reservoir. Try pouring a bit more in and I think it will cure your problem.

Thanks Ian C, Shane.

Can I just pick some up from halfords and pour it in, I know its meant to be the same type. Isnt a supra 5.1?

I do have quite a steep driveway, so perhaps that is giving me a false sense of security!!.. Maybe on an even road it will drop.

Thanks again, most appreciated