The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project 'Leroy'

Graham S

After much thought and very little arm twisting from Gav (JustGav), and countless pictures of what he has found etc... We have decided to start a project of our own...

Its been a few years now since I sold my UK6 and i'm sure like all of us that have sold a supe that everytime the sun comes out I wish I was in it again...The sound of my old car driving away will haunt me forever (I'd never heard it before as no one got to drive it!).

Anyway, Gav being Gav, he never really thinks lets build a car from normal parts, lets BUILD A CAR:eyebrows:.

So, within a matter of days, we (well Gav) has sourced a shell, a silver manual shell that seems to be in very good condition and still has a good few parts attached, mainly steering rack, column, subframes etc. Last night we picked up a NA engine, to start playing with!

Basically, plan is, on a budget of pretty much zero, we plan to build, starting from an NA (manual or auto is to be decided), which we want to build starting totally stock, to get a running car, then.....

We have already aquired a GT4088, which we plan to run (NA-T), with a custom inlet, due to intake temp issues... but, using a stock block (bar 3mm head gasket and ARP's) and see just what the stock block will take. Obviously there are many many other things we have thought about but will go into that as it happens.

So, project Leroy begins. (Leroy coming from Gavs wife, I think she has issues!! or dreams!)

To follow will be a rather large shopping list, so if anyone has any parts they happen to have laying about give either of us a buzz..

Edited by JustGav (see edit history)

Does gav have his finger in everything these days or what :D

Ok 1st thing i noticed is 3mm HG...

This is a big NONO.. will make far to much boost and will be a DOG on vac.

Only 2 ways i would do it, either

1. TT HG or

2. TT pistons but not both as your CR will be lower than a TT and that isnt realy a good thing

Personaly the ONLY way to drop CR correctly on an NA (unless you take a fair amount off the head) is through the piston and not the HG

Thats my 2 cents

Good luck with it anyway :)

Hahaha, not quite :) (I do still have a day job...)

To be honest, Graham is the master with the spanners and chief builder, I'm the research and wiring guy...

1. TT HG or

2. TT pistons but not both as your CR will be lower than a TT and that isnt realy a good thing

Personaly the ONLY way to drop CR correctly on an NA (unless you take a fair amount off the head) is through the piston and not the HG

Thats my 2 cents

Might pick your brain about that actually, been researching a lot of the stuff DaveH did with his builds as he seemed to have a good measure of success.

Some of the plans include getting rid of the dizzy (replacing with a coilpack setup), and going standalone...

1. TT HG or

Thats my 2 cents

More happy to listen to any suggestions / comments.. We are open minded!

We basically got the 3mm HG idea from a site that built NA-T's and they basically put the compressions from 10:1 down to something like 8.4*:1.

Now the option of shaving the head isn't a issue, we have a spare head and I can get the work done no problem.... If we knew what the exact amount to take off was, if of course thats possible..

Give us a shout anytime mate, been tinkering with NA engines for a while now.

I followed DaveH to start with but i started speaking with 'suprarunner' as he had big success with his, he's now running around a 1000 with a full TT coilpack conversion with TT cam shaft postion sensor welded to the head and a TT oil pump with crank sensor and timing star, all that on a stock NA HG ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok people update time,

We have drawn up a quick list of parts needed, so if any of you have any of these laying around please feel free to drop myself or Gav a PM..

Auto NA diff, prop and shafts

Nearside (passenger) wing mirror, prefer silver if poss

Both front wings , again prefer silver.

Bonnet, silver is poss

Offside (drivers) door handle

NA manifold and either cats or decats

Auto rad

Rad cowling

Headlights

Indicators, both front and sides

Rear lights

Front seats/subframes

Steering wheel

Carpet

Door cards

Roof lining

Pillars

Instrument cluster, heater controls, fascia etc (for auto)

Handbrake cables

Complete brake setup

Think there is probably much more but will update as we find out!

Thanks in advance...

Edited by Graham S (see edit history)

Got a silver bonnet, but it's a little damaged :( Got a pair of orange blob front and side indicators, 2nd cat and loads of other obscure parts.

For info the NA auto & manual diffs are the same.

I can probably get quite a lot of the stuff you asked for pretty cheap, let me know if you get stuck.

Edit - instrument cluster too - the rpm dial has the auto plate (but will work fine on a manual). Also some of the control units and a few of the interior panels if required. Loads of looms including light ones, pretty much everything except the dash pair.

I have a complete (I think, at least almost complete) set of interior trim plastics, a dash shell, cloth seats, door cards, rear qtr cards etc that you can have for free if you can collect from York. I also have a stock spoiler that I paid alot of money for from Michel Lane which you can have for free.

This isn't an open offer for everyone, I just like the sound of this project and will donate them FOC if you can collect.

I also have a broken headlight I was going to convert into a vent using fibreglass.

I have a complete (I think, at least almost complete) set of interior trim plastics, a dash shell, cloth seats, door cards, rear qtr cards etc that you can have for free if you can collect from York. I also have a stock spoiler that I paid alot of money for from Michel Lane which you can have for free.

This isn't an open offer for everyone, I just like the sound of this project and will donate them FOC if you can collect.

I also have a broken headlight I was going to convert into a vent using fibreglass.

Wow dude, don't know what to say but thanks :) I'll organise with Graham then a date to suit and we will make a trip up in the van...

Gray and I once drove up to grimsby and back in one night for an engine a few years back, so York isn't as bad :)

You have PM chaps. UK front lights (inc bulbs), UK rear lights (inc looms, no bulbs), set of UK front seats inc SFs, few bits n bobs. Let me know what you want from it all if you do and I'm sure we can come to some sort of deal.

Cheers for the PM and yup, will be in contact soon ;)

Got a silver bonnet, but it's a little damaged :( Got a pair of orange blob front and side indicators, 2nd cat and loads of other obscure parts.

For info the NA auto & manual diffs are the same.

I can probably get quite a lot of the stuff you asked for pretty cheap, let me know if you get stuck.

Edit - instrument cluster too - the rpm dial has the auto plate (but will work fine on a manual). Also some of the control units and a few of the interior panels if required. Loads of looms including light ones, pretty much everything except the dash pair.

Superb, I'm sure Gray and I will chat with you next week during the pre-mot check :)

Wow dude, don't know what to say but thanks :) I'll organise with Graham then a date to suit and we will make a trip up in the van...

Gray and I once drove up to grimsby and back in one night for an engine a few years back, so York isn't as bad :)

No problem, so long as it's all getting put to good use.

Sooner rather than later if possible though :)

Good luck with the project :)

• 4 months later...