The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cat to Manifold bolts, any tips to get them off easily

DodgyRog

Is there an easy way to get at the bolts that connect the 1st Cat to the manifold on an N/A.

I had a quick go at it the other day, but could not get the leverage to budge them.

I now have a 1st De-cat pipe and want it on the car yesterday:rolleyes:

I know its a bit of a simple question, but just wandered if someone that has done it, found the better way of getting to them:D

O and while I am doing this thread, is my memory right, I can just cable tie the sensor out the way, is there anything else I need to do to the the sensor etc

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

What are you using to remove them? What size breaker bar? Using plusgas?

Never done an NA first cat pipe, but if its similar to the TT, then leverage and plusgas should see it sorted.

Can't get a breaker bar in there, due to the rest of the car being in the way;) and whats plusgas?

Take it to a garage and let them have that headache mate, and yes you can just tie the sensor up.

that :)

Think it will proberbly be going to a garage, but cant do that for a couple of weeks and the impatient git that I am, thought I might be able to do it myself quicker

Grinder!

If they don't budge with some WD and a socket then i cut them off. Then nice a new fresh ones back on.

Dont really want to take the grinder to it Edge, I have to drive it daily, so cant afford for it to be off the road for more than a day.

Think I will give the bolts a good soaking in WD40 a few times this week and try again at the weekend and then if that fails see if I can get a fixed quote from a garage

WD40 is water dispersant. It doesnt attack rust (to an extent) like Plusgas does.

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Penetrating%20Oils&product=30700

You need as many extensions as you need to get a breaker bar onto them, job done. There is no nut or bolt on the Supra that cannot be removed with the right tools.

Thanks Rob, will see if I can get some Plusgas locally tomorrow and give it a soak in that.

If I had a ramp or pit, I am sure this would be easier, but laying on your back with the bottom of the car 5 inches from your face, restricts the access a bit, I am a muscular:innocent: 16 stone guy, so my movement tends to be a bit restricted from under the car:p

I'm not sure what the access is like to the 6 manifold to head bolts but you might be able to undo these and remove (after undoing the oxygen sensors too) the cast bit and 1st cat from the car and seperate the 1st cat afterwards?

Yeah was thinking this might be another option, but I would have to replace the manifold gasket as well then and with me only just starting work again after being off for 5 months, I would like to keep the costs down as much as possible.

Thanks Rob, will see if I can get some Plusgas locally tomorrow and give it a soak in that.

If I had a ramp or pit, I am sure this would be easier, but laying on your back with the bottom of the car 5 inches from your face, restricts the access a bit, I am a muscular:innocent: 16 stone guy, so my movement tends to be a bit restricted from under the car:p

No worrries.

All the TT first cats i did were on ramps, although i couldnt in any fairness be described as either muscular or 16 stone! That's why i use a breaker bar :D

Yeah was thinking this might be another option, but I would have to replace the manifold gasket as well then and with me only just starting work again after being off for 5 months, I would like to keep the costs down as much as possible.

I 'think' its reusable, I've seen them and they are just 2/3 metal sheet gaskets (see the set in Jody's loads of parts for sale thread), I pretty sure they are not crush ones like the other exhaust or cat pipe connections...........