The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sticky caliper ?

Lee_e

hey guys

I think my front drivers side caliper is sticking and possibly my passenger side aswell :(

after driving home via the dual carridge way my steering wheel started to judder quite badly then whilst slowing down and applying the brake it went crazy with the juddering, felt like i had turned on a massager on my right foot.

its happened a few times lately and i thought it was due to balancing issues. I got home that night and felt the alloy wheel and it was almost too hot to touch :blink: and there was a horrid smell from the disc like i had just done 100 laps of the nurbergring.

From visualy inspecting the pads iv got loads of pad lleft so cant be down to low pads, i have some crappy make of Drilled and grooved disks which where on the car when i bought it a year ago. is it time to change the disks ?

the other front wheel was warm but nowhere near as hot as the other one.

what shall i do ?? any suggestions on how to refurb a sticky caliper ??

cheers

lee

If i were you i'd strip and rebuild both fronts and both rears, how easy it is will depend on how mechanically minded you are.

If your fairly good with the spanners then its very easy to do if not then best given to someone thats done the job before.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

well i have changed my brake pads on all my recent cars and have changed the pads on this one too so im pretty sure im able to do it myself (hopefully)

do we know how much a caliper refurb kit is from Mr T ? probably going to cost me an arm and leg right ? any pridyct numbers or is it a case of going in and asking the parts department ?

cheers fella's

ahhh so not as "bank busting" as i thought. will get into toyota tomorrow and have order 2 sets.

another question regarding brakes... do you think some new standard jspec front disks would cure the vibrating ? iv never liked the sound of D & G disks seem very clumpy to me.

any prices on the disks ? rougly ?

cheers again

it only cost about £70 ish for a new caliper is it worth refurbing them might as well buy two new ones then you know its right also how long have your last ones lasted 10 - 15 years also brake discs and pads on ebay made by mintex are about £120

Hey dude

I was pretty sure new calipers would cost well over £70 ish, Is that direct from toyota dealership ? if so then i think i might buy into some new calipers, with the caliper you dont just get the housing do you ? i take it you get the full bundle including piston's, rubber seals etc so ready to go.

cheers bud

Phone Steve Manley to get the best price for o/e Toyota, seal kits for the uk spec are approx £35 to do both the fronts, the discs are approx £70 each, pads approx £50 for both fronts.

Can't see you getting a brand new o/e caliper for £70, uk rear 2 pot is over £150 each

Oh and don't PM Chris - email only :p

yer i just saw that in his signature ;)

does anybody know of any trusted brake disc companys on ebay ? iv heard something about G3 ?? been looking just now and for a set of 2 fronts is around £100 so not too bad.

going to pop into toyota tomorrow and find out a price for the refurb kits for jspec fronts. then go from there i think, found a kit on ebay for £30 for front 2 calipers. might be worth a try if toyota are silly money.

cheers for the help guys

I agree to check the sliders 1st but almost definetly if the cars using its original calipers and the seals havent been changed for what it costs its worth doing.

Best done before the pitsons sieze and then you don't need new pistons on top of the seal kit.

Penny pinching and mkiv's don't go together very well and will cost you more long term.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

hey mate i have just had the same problem. i refurbed the sliders (easy job) which helped but not solved so i picked up my front refurb kit today for 48 quid and will be doing it in the morning!!!

lets hope it solves both our problems!

good luck

As do i buddy ;)

how would one go about refurbing the sliders as i think when i changed the pads a awhile back the slider on the side thats sticking where a bit "dry" put a bit of lube on them but i think if i take them apart tomoz i will find them dry again :(

does anybody knows any products i can pick up from a shelf somewhere that will aid the system i.e brake dust cleaner etc

cheers lads

outer seals ?? is that rubber ring that the piston sits in ?

Not to sure on the names of things but if you describe it well then i have no problems changing/identifying the part :D

When you take the pads out you'll see it, it keeps all the dirt and moisture from the piston o/d and the inner seal. It only needs a pin hole in it and you'll have problems with the pistons siezing.

caliper_piston5.jpg