The mkiv Supra Owners Club

jacking points bending/damaged

downimpact

All my jacking points are slowly getting bent and flattened against the body. This is obviously taking the paint and allowing surface rust. Is there anything I can do to stop this? New rail?

I can paint over the bent rail but wondered if there was a more satisfactory solution.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this happened to me to, to the point where my floor pan slightly took a crease, nearly shed a tear over that:( but when it comes to my respray im going to pull mine back level, scrape all that rust of and get some oxide paint on it

I changed the front discs on mine yesterday and got throughly *.*ed off with having to jack the car up enough at the jacking point, then using an axle stand so I could get the jack further under the car to jack it up high enough from a decent point. Was wondering about making something like Dnk has but decided I would just look out for another trolley jack low enough to go under first time. My jacking points look horrible now.

Guest Budz86

Maybe a stupid question, but any idea of a hydraulic jack that is long/low enough to get under a standard supe and reach the sub-frame? I have a couple of pretty basic trolly jacks but they don't seem to be able to reach far enough

I made up some basic wooden ramps at work. Drive onto them & there's plenty of room to get a normal sized jack under there. I used to drive onto a brick but i didn't like the way it ate into the tyre. :)

Same here, mine are 4" wide 18" long and 3" thick with a 30 degree angle cut on the ends, works a treat and much better than using a brick :blink:

DSCF0854.JPG

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Same here, mine are 4" wide 18" long and 3" thick with a 30 degree angle cut on the ends, works a treat and much better than using a brick :blink:

i dont have the space for long ramps in my garage so i just put a brick next to the front wheels and let the car push its self up :)

The "jacking points" are only for use with the crappy wind up jack that comes with the car, dunks is a good idea, i jack the back up under the diff and under the bottom arm/subframe for the front.

As do i.. not like i could use the scissor jack anyway cause the previous owner decided he would crush all of the jacking points on the sills :blink:

I don't even trust tyre places with my car now, I take the wheels there in my run around and fit them myself at home.........

I have made some seriously bulky wooden ramps from scaffold boards, 5-7 (can't remember off hand) thick.........they make getting the car (stock front bumper) up high a doddle although it needs a extra pair of eyes to guide you up them really.

Guest Budz86

I do have wheel ramps too but don't look like they would stay still when you drive a car onto them! Don't want to try then hear a loud crunch!

I know this is a real newbie question and I'll probably get slated for it :), but is the differential the bulbous bit mid-way between the rear wheels? I want to make sure I'll be jacking it up at the right place.

Incidentally, is this why some (all?) trolley jacks are fitted with a cup on the jacking point, so it mates with the differential housing?