The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuseeee !!!

Mas

Hi Folks

a simple jump start turned into a nightmare yesterday as I havent used the car for a while and the poor thing finally died!

Once I connected the jump leads a smoke and burning smell started !!! well I knew few fuses have blown for sure!

Well 2 usual ones were gone so I replaced but then the same thing happened when I re connected the jum lead!!!

then found out the 120A fuse (big white one in the picture) has gone!

Never had this problem before, so tried to remove it but the damn thing doesnt come out! Do I need to take the whole fuse box out to replace this?

Anyone knows what the part number is for this one as I need one asap or the car stays off the road for even more time :)

That one's bolted in - it has a big blade that goes down into the lower part of the fuse tray and there's a bolt that holds it in place. Don't have access to a part number as I'm at work, but I do know it's an expensive one.

:(

Please let me know the number if you get the chance mate, if it cost the earth I might get a used one of the guys in here but would prefer a new one if possible.

Perhaps check whats making the burning smell before jump starting again ;)

Think was the jump lead I brought with me from Dubai, they look pretty decent thats why I bothered to bring them back but seems like the wire melted a bit!! so started to use my old ones now :D

Ah the joys, when I jump started mine recently due to battery problems I had obviously f*cked up my headunit at the same time so had to buy a new unit at the weekend and get it all fitted so I know how you feel about a simple task becoming an expensive one lol

Ah the joys, when I jump started mine recently due to battery problems I had obviously f*cked up my headunit at the same time so had to buy a new unit at the weekend and get it all fitted so I know how you feel about a simple task becoming an expensive one lol

Yes I know exactly what you mean. I killed an ECU last year by jump starting my daughter's car from mine!

And Mas as the man says, be sure to find out if it is definitely the leads causing the smell and if I was knocking out a 120A fuse:blink: I would be concerened and be looking for a heavy short before I tried again.

Yes I know exactly what you mean. I killed an ECU last year by jump starting my daughter's car from mine!

And Mas as the man says, be sure to find out if it is definitely the leads causing the smell and if I was knocking out a 120A fuse:blink: I would be concerened and be looking for a heavy short before I tried again.

You're scaring me now :D

will get everything checked before blowing another fuse like that, hopefully nothing else's screwed such as head unit or ECU!!! ;)

A part number or a spare one of these would be very much appreciated :thumbs:

If you jump start correctly there should be no problem, you should put the -ve lead on a decent earth on the engine, not the battery.

Think thats where everything messed up! as I started to get big sparks which I never had before!!

P/N please guys, where is Nic now that I need him! ;)

Oh dear oh dear, me and computers dont quite see eye to eye. I have just posted up what you need in the technical section mate so have a quick look there.

:D noticed that mate :thumbs:

90982-08271.

Thats better now, I can afford a 10 euro bill so lets hope thats all its needed :)

Thanks for your help once again mate, gotta buy you a pint whenever we meet up :)

Lets just hope the igniter pack is still ok, These can be prone to frying when that fuse has gone.

Have you tried any of the breakers on here about the fuse? I managed to get one of Dude ( Topman ). I expect Keron will have one spare, They cost around £14 from Toyota but i expect it to be less than that from a breaker on here and you might get it quicker.

Lets just hope the igniter pack is still ok, These can be prone to frying when that fuse has gone.

Have you tried any of the breakers on here about the fuse? I managed to get one of Dude ( Topman ). I expect Keron will have one spare, They cost around £14 from Toyota but i expect it to be less than that from a breaker on here and you might get it quicker.

Thats what Im gonna check first thing when I go back working on the car :)

I'll call the local toyota and if they said it'll take time to get it then I'll start hunting the guys down here in the forum :)

Wiggy 1980 may be the man to talk to about these, he reckons he has loads of them!!!!

If you jump start correctly there should be no problem, you should put the -ve lead on a decent earth on the engine, not the battery.

This is very true and over the years I must have jump started thousands of cars without issue. The reason I cooked the ECU was that I had not tightened one of my battery connectors properly and it moved/sparked during jumping and the ECU wasnt happy.

Ive got the fuse sorted now but the car doesnt fire up? Alarm is working properly all the dash lights are working fine, engine tries to start but seems like somethingstopping it to fire up!!

Is there anything else I could check to see why isnt it starting up ?