The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra cleaning products?

L33

Hey guys sorry if this in the wrong section can be moved if needed

I'm looking to buy a huge list of cleaning products this week to start detailing my car ready for my mag shoot but its a big world out there for products!!

I usually just buy a polish and make do but I'm going one step further now! I've bought a clay bar kit and I've now priced up a variety of cleaning products from the meguires catalogue for wash, polish, wax, engine, wheels and interior and I've racked up 70 quid so far!!

Just wondered a couple things...

One - I've gone for meguires as reading the info on the gold class products the wet look show shine sounds perfect but is it the best for price compared to auto gylm and the like? Already been told the auto glym wash and wax shampoo is better than the megs shampoo and conditioner

And 2 - where is the best place to buy such products from? The catalogue was rrp prices but wondered if there is a land of bargains on a site some one may know for cleaning stuff?

Cheers

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk

And I would recommend

Pre wash - Meguiars Hyper Wash

Wash - Lamb mitt and Blackfire Gloss shampoo/conditioner

Clean - Meguiars Last touch lubricant - Meguiars Mild clay

Polish - Blackfire gloss enhancing polish

Wax - R222 100% carnauba

About 120 pound for all the above but if you are claying I would use a dual action polisher after which is another 85 pound for the cheapest

Edited by scotty71 (see edit history)

Thanks for the recommendation I will check the link out when I can get to a comp and not on my phone! those prices you mentioned sounded a little more than I wanted to pay

My current pick list from the megs catalogue is (input on these products would be grand :))

(Recommended over megs shampoo -Auto glym wash and wax) or

Megs gold class shampoo and conditioner

Megs gold class wax

Megs engine clean

Megs nxt metal polish

Megs hot rims all wheel cleaner

Megs hot shine tyre spray

Megs nxt tech protect interior cleaner or

Megs quick interior detailer

Megs Supreme shine micro fiber cloth

Megs Soft buff terry towel

Megs applicator pad

As I mentioned I already have the megs clay bar kit I'm goin to use as I bought the megs 3 step paint restorer and my paint still felt like sand paper as it was stood out in the elements for 14 months! Brother in law done a tiny patch with the clay and worked instantly!

Bill - halfords usually do those deals in summer, or in my case the week after I buy all this :( lol

Edited by L33 (see edit history)

I would say don't stick to one brand, and also join detailing world and prepare to spend hours (and lots of money) discovering what you need :D

Out of that lot you listed, I'd only purchase the following megs products:

Megs gold class shampoo and conditioner (can't see why AG is recommended over this, it's not bad really, better than their NXT stuff)

Megs nxt metal polish (although autosol is a classic!)

Megs hot shine tyre spray

Megs quick interior detailer (ideal for quick wipe overs)

Megs applicator pad (generally good for applying stuff!)

Then just bulk buy microfibre cloths from ebay or wherever, ideal for putting on and taking off products.

The megs 3 stage stuff isn't that good as a whole, i.e. their wax is awful and the stage 1 is a chemical cleaner as opposed to a abrasive cleaner. Stage 2 is good if used as a glaze though.

What you need to remember when it comes to paintwork is thoroughly clean and clay the paint so you get a mirror smooth finish. Once you have your ideal look, you can enhance it (with a glaze) then you must protect it with a decent wax and/or sealant. After the initial application of wax, you will only need to lightly wash the car to bring it up to a good shine, and top the wax up every couple of weeks or so.

Waxes, you're talking £10 up to thousands of pounds, so it's whatever fits your budget really

my mate used this on his old porsche and it came up stunning leaves no white marks on rubber hard work but worth it

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/meguiars/nxt-tech-wax-2-0.aspx

That stuff is a pig to work with and remove, although to be fair I have heard that megs have improved the mixture a bit now compared to their first batches. Admittedly if you can remove it all it does give a good finish, it's just too much hard work for me :D

I'd say get a decent paste wax, if peter is a dodo retailer then definitely buy some of that, it's good stuff!

• 1 month later...

If you have a large Sainsburys supermarket near you give them a call and ask if they have any "Autoglym Super Resin Polish" (SRP) - it seems to be a very highly regarded product over on the detailers world forum.

It usually sells for around a tenner for 325ml, I picked up four bottles at £1.74 each at a Sainsburys near me - they had quite a lot left too!

Also over on detailers world Chemical Guys Mirror Wet Finish seems to be a good product for black cars.

For wax the Autoglym High Definition wax is getting good reviews - and its price is just right. You can pick it up from Amazon for around £27 delivered (It is 39.99 in Halfords, so if you dont mind waiting a few days for delivery..).

A good clean (snowfoam / two bucket method) and then using SRP and HD wax will give decent results.

Also if you buy a power washer the Nilfisk was on special (c110) at Argos for some 50quid.. better than most 120+ Karchers as it has a metal motor.

• 1 year later...