The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Horn button not working

Homer

Hopefully a simple one this!

Basically, the horn is on all the time (so that itself is working).

Pulled the steering wheel off today to look at it and found that nothing was connected to the horn button. I can only see one black wire with a spade connector in the hub which traces back to a white plug on the column.

Also, on the horn button itself, there is only one spade connector.

Any ideas what's wrong? Am I missing a live/earth? Is the hub itself the earth?

attachment.php?attachmentid=107290&stc=1&d=1269712041

Image0047.jpg

Cheers Si, so there should only be one spade connector (as per pic)?

I've not tried plugging it in yet as I wasn't sure if it was the right one!

The spring on the button looks to be okay, I can see the metal plate inside moving when pressing it

hey homer, i have a very similar looking setup with my boss kit. i have 2 connectors on the back of my horn, the second being the earth which i earthed to the hub, not sure whether your second spade has come off cos it looks like there is one missing. this could be a reason why its constantly on cos its making a constant live.

either that or the switch is duff!?!?!?!?

Cheers Si, so there should only be one spade connector (as per pic)?

I've not tried plugging it in yet as I wasn't sure if it was the right one!

The spring on the button looks to be okay, I can see the metal plate inside moving when pressing it

yup, its the same as mine. Some do have two wires, but one is just attached futher down in the boss. as I mentioned, the earth return is done via the wheel/boss via the steering column.

if nothing was connected to the button, and the horn was always on, i'd say thet the connector was touching the boss - bypassing the button.

There is no positive to the horn button it is earth switched.

Touch the black wire to the nut that secures the hub and see if it sounds the horn, if it does than you need to earth the horn button to the hub and connect the black wire to the switch.

thats what I ment... :innocent:

yup, its the same as mine. Some do have two wires, but one is just attached futher down in the boss. as I mentioned, the earth return is done via the wheel/boss via the steering column.

if nothing was connected to the button, and the horn was always on, i'd say thet the connector was touching the boss - bypassing the button.

There is no positive to the horn button it is earth switched.

Touch the black wire to the nut that secures the hub and see if it sounds the horn, if it does than you need to earth the horn button to the hub and connect the black wire to the switch.

That explains it - cheers guys!

I guess the hub has a wire hidden somewhere behind it (never took it off, but now where to look now. And Yes, the spade connector was resting on the inside of the hub - which explains why the horn was on all the time.

Thanks guys. Nearly there...

The horn and wheel are now all plugged in and fitted, but it doesn't operate when pressing the button.

I can hear the relay in the engine fusebox click when the button is pressed and released, so everything down to there seems okay. The fuse is also working (it's the same one as the hazards and they are working).

The horns were working back last year, but are now not. Is there a simple way to check their operation?

Also, is there just one wire going into the horn through the plug, should there be an earth anywhere?

Thanks guys. Nearly there...

The horn and wheel are now all plugged in and fitted, but it doesn't operate when pressing the button.

I can hear the relay in the engine fusebox click when the button is pressed and released, so everything down to there seems okay. The fuse is also working (it's the same one as the hazards and they are working).

The horns were working back last year, but are now not. Is there a simple way to check their operation?

Also, is there just one wire going into the horn through the plug, should there be an earth anywhere?

The horn is earthed at the fixing bolt, unplug the spade connector on the horn whilst pressing the horn button check for live with a tester. If you have a live feed then suspect a faulty horn.

The horn is earthed at the fixing bolt, unplug the spade connector on the horn whilst pressing the horn button check for live with a tester. If you have a live feed then suspect a faulty horn.

Thanks Ibrar, will give that a try. Will need some help, my arms arn't that long :D