The mkiv Supra Owners Club

4 point harness

Guest George89

It all depends if you want the harness to actually work as it should or for looks!!! If you want it to work then the shoulder belts should never be mounted down to the floor or off at an angle, thats why they are mounted to the roll cage on the seat bracing bar slightly back and down from the upper holes in the seat.

If you want a harness I can get very good deals on Luke equipment.

You also want ones with ASM (anti submarining). This allows one side to stretch longer than the other, hence twisting your torso just like an OEM seatbelt does. This will prevent damaging your neck.

ASM afaik is the front belt that goes between your legs, I don't know of one harness that stretches, I may be wrong though.

Guest George89

Just checked my car and i think it would look more neat if i just take the back seats out and connect the harness to the existing rear seatbelts

ASM afaik is the front belt that goes between your legs, I don't know of one harness that stretches, I may be wrong though.

You're right ASM is that too, it is any device that prevents "submarining".

Having a strap run inbetween your legs is the most common way of achieveing this.

Schroth have created another way where one side extends further than the other in a crash (via their brakable tab sewn in the belt), they are the only manufactuer to do this, check out Schroth ASM in the follwing link)

http://www.schrothracing.com/main/Engineering

IMHO I would only use a 4pt in a car with rollover protection (cage or rollbar), without this protection a 4 pt harness will hold you upright, in a roll situation, the roof may come down on your head, where as an oem seatbelt allows side movement for the person to avoid this.

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

Having raced bangers for 3 seasons with speedworth I can tell you that a decent 4 point will stop you hurting yourself at higher speed than you may think, I have been put into a railway sleeper at over 60mph and followed in by large cars , granadas/jags etc, aside from nice bruises from the belts no ill effects.