The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Adjusting rusty Tein suspension?

Homer

Can anyone explain how to go about adjusting the spring platform with a set of old Teins? I'm having no luck so far!

I've borrowed a set of Tein spanners, fitted an extension bar into each of them, then used ignorance and brute force to try and shift the rings.. The only thing that happens is the (cumbersome) spanner setup flys off the rings, or they shift to an angle where they try to round off the rings.

The threads have been wire brushed and them and the rings soaked in lubricant overnight.

1) Should I be doing this with the suspension on or off the car? (Currently on)

2) Should the spring be compressed to a point where it's not putting pressure on the platform? I've tried compressing the spring a little, but with the bulky Halfords compressors it's far from releasing the spring from the platform.

I know there is a good chance they will snap, not worried about that as I can get more from Whifbitz. Just need to either move them or break them off :)

I put the car on stands and just whacked the spanners with a hammer. Whack one ring once one way then the other ring next the other. But yours do sound like they are corroded quite a bit.

Its took a good few clouts to get them to shift.

the rings have probably corroded together... and to the strut - assuming you can get replacements i'd cut them off.

Yep, you are most likely right with them being corroded together.

I had thought about cutting them off, but with a compressed spring (even a little bit), an angle grinder and numpty using it is a receipe for injury! :D Just trying to rule out the drastic actions first.

i adjusted mine on the car but jacked up so the weight is off the car, what tein coilovers have you got?

mine were brand new when i got them, ill try and find he thread as everyone posted on that.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=198577

The car is jacked up and on stands, but there's still a *lot* of pressure on the platforms. They are Tein HA's, an old basic model.

I put the car on stands and just whacked the spanners with a hammer. Whack one ring once one way then the other ring next the other. But yours do sound like they are corroded quite a bit.

Its took a good few clouts to get them to shift.

Thanks, I will give that a try as well :thumbs:

Yep, you are most likely right with them being corroded together.

I had thought about cutting them off, but with a compressed spring (even a little bit), an angle grinder and numpty using it is a receipe for injury! :D Just trying to rule out the drastic actions first.

cant you try and locate some spring clamps (decent ones) compress the spring a tad so the force is not on the locking rings/seat and with a HUGE hammer whack them as mention above

If you take them off the car and then remove the topmount you can cut away in safety :)

I don't think you would have much joy with them off the car with regards to adjusting, nothing to hold them in place securely (I don't think a vice would do it).

On the car, don't try to lever them off. Try to shock them so that the rust breaks. A good solid copper hammer would do the job nicely. Something metalic anyway so that you get a nice rattle when it hits. Just use the tein spanner and the hammer, don't bother with the pipe. If all else fails try a big screwdriver, ignore the spanner and just go nuts with the hammer.

Concentrate on loosening the lower nut first rather than moving the upper one up further, less forces you have to deal with the better.

Id compress the springs a bit then get a hammer and punch/drift, see if you can move them as a grinder slip may mean the threads are fooked or even the body punctured!

Yeah, that's what's likely to happen, especially if the spring hits the grinder when they go. Not really wanting to do that!

If you take them off the car and then remove the topmount you can cut away in safety :)

I don't think you would have much joy with them off the car with regards to adjusting, nothing to hold them in place securely (I don't think a vice would do it).

On the car, don't try to lever them off. Try to shock them so that the rust breaks. A good solid copper hammer would do the job nicely. Something metalic anyway so that you get a nice rattle when it hits. Just use the tein spanner and the hammer, don't bother with the pipe. If all else fails try a big screwdriver, ignore the spanner and just go nuts with the hammer.

Concentrate on loosening the lower nut first rather than moving the upper one up further, less forces you have to deal with the better.

Thanks Scott, good suggestions there :) I don't have a copper hammer, only a metal claw one and a lump hammer, guess if they don't budge the ring lower ring they are going to need cutting, or replaced.

the rings have probably corroded together... and to the strut - assuming you can get replacements i'd cut them off.

You can get replacement rings think they were £27 pair , on my old sup it came with some teins went to adjust them and the ring just snapped I was quite surprised how weak it was.

If you REALLY want to save them, (for God's sake, WHY? :)) you need to take them off the car, take the springs off, hold them in wooden V blocks in a vice (don't crush the tubes, or ding them) and get a small angle grinder and grind almost through the rings until you see the shadow of the body threads showing through, on two opposite sides of the rings. Then CAREFULLY get a sharp cold steel chisel and they will split at the ground spots and come off. Then rotary wire brush the threads until totally clean and fit new rings. Do the same in a year or so unless you grease them monthly. Wonder why you bothered when they knock / leak in six months :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, with some help from Rob today we got the lower ring moved (after a lot of force - two of us on a 3 foot bar!). However, the upper rings were completely stuck, without even applying a lot of force the flimsy little tabs on each of the key points snapped off.

So, Chris, you don't rate these then? :innocent: The only reason i want to hang onto them is I can adjust the ride height for NA and future TT conversion. It'll save having to change the springs and dampers again when the TT engine goes in. They're not leaking or knocking at the moment, even though they are at least 6 years old.

So, now, either cut them off and replace with new rings or get new suspension (which I cannot afford :( )