The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight sizes - difference ?

caseys

Well I'm running a UK spec car with a do-luck front bumper and just gone to replace my aging UK spec headlights with some J-spec ones with clear lenses that I bought off a member here.

Found though that the J-spec appear to be every so slightly smaller, so having just attempted to fit them there's a gap between the light and the wing. The lens portion of these J-specs is literally 10mm smaller in width than my UK spec headlights, is there some sort of difference

I didn't think there was a difference as many J-Spec cars fit the UK glass headlights, am I missing something? I thought J-spec, facelift and UK spec headlights were all interchangable?

It's definitely still the stock UK headlights I have in, as we went to change these over and noticed no socket for the headlight adjustment that the UKs have. I'd rather resolve this than have to fork out £300 odd to Toyota for a new set of UKs

Have you just bought new facelift ones? I will buy them off you :)

They shouldn't be different sizes though.

They're not facelift ones. Definitely replacing UK spec ones and these appear too small, I am unsure why. The fitting is great at on the inside, but on the outer side they're just short.

These are refurbed J-Spec, not facelift, as looking sidelight is still in this unit. See the attachments. Pic of both the new ones, then a pic of where my finger is showing the end of the light and literally not much after that, then my UK spec ones where you can see the glass lens overlays a bit more of what I guess is the actual body of the headlamps. Is there possibly some plastic/rubber surrond that's on a J-Spec headlight that's not on a UK? Hence people swapping from J-Spec to UK have no issues, but the other way round you could encounter such a problem?

Also notice how the person who did my UK light refurb previously before I owned the car decided to just... spray over the bump!

Confused? I am :)

P1000917.jpg

P1000918.jpg

P1000919.jpg

Edited by caseys (see edit history)

They're not facelift ones. Definitely replacing UK spec ones and these appear too small, I am unsure why. The fitting is great at on the inside, but on the outer side they're just short.

These are refurbed J-Spec, not facelift, as looking sidelight is still in this unit. See the attachments. Pic of both the new ones, then a pic of where my finger is showing the end of the light and literally not much after that, then my UK spec ones where you can see the glass lens overlays a bit more of what I guess is the actual body of the headlamps.

Also notice how the person who did my UK light refurb previously before I owned the car decided to just... spray over the bump!

Confused? I am :)

the cause of that could be a not well fitted lens, i had this problem when i refurbed my j-spec lights on the passenger side.

the lens wasn’t totally pressed on the rear plastic.

so i had to remove the lens, clean all the old stock glue assembled again and problem solved.