The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cruise control retro fit

David P

I am retro fitting cruise control.

My Supra has the throttle ramp for the extra cable, under bonnet connector for cruise motor and loom in the steering column for the control stalk, but I can't find the connector block for the ECU?

I have stripped the dash completely, it will be taped back into the loom somewhere, but dammed if I can find it.

Before the car gets reduced to a bare shell, can someone please tell me where it is hiding?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My car has the connector under the bonnet, the ramp and the loom in the column.

The connector should be a green one, and is below the dash, above the clutch pedal. There is a small bracket there that the ECU bolts to and the green multiplug would go into it.

My car did not have a green plug, so i abandoned hope of fitting cruise.

I am 'in the same boat', yet because the other parts of the loom are there, the green block must be there somewhere.

I have had a good look at the manual, and the connector block is on the end of a long length of loom, all on it's own, so it will be tied back and taped into the loom somewhere, but could be up to a metre away from the ECU mounting point.

If someone is breaking a Supra with loom, without cruise, it will be a lot easier to find.

A few months ago, whilst standing on my head under the dash removing the dreaded ding dong, I seem to vaguely remember there being a spare green block behind the kick panel fuse box, if no-one has the answer, I will have that out at the weekend and take a look.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Since modifying the engine, cruising at 100mph is now only around 1mm of pedal depression and cruising at 70mph is around 0.5mm.

With such a fine tolerance, it has become difficult to regulate cruising speed.

That's why I need cruise control.

Since modifying the engine, cruising at 100mph is now only around 1mm of pedal depression and cruising at 70mph is around 0.5mm.

With such a fine tolerance, it has become difficult to regulate cruising speed.

That's why I need cruise control.

:rlol:

You mean you find it difficult to cruise at 70 as if you press the accelerator even 0.5mm you cruise at 100?

You are kidding right?

:rlol:

You mean you find it difficult to cruise at 70 as if you press the accelerator even 0.5mm you cruise at 100?

You are kidding right?

Not kidding, that's exactly the way it is.

Ultimately, I will re-design the throttle ramp to give less butterfly movement at light throttle, but cruise will 'patch' this for now.

In a nutshell, I don't belive you, if you're saying you can't maintain a speed in your car within a couple of mph (no matter how powerfull the car) then there is something seriously wrong with either the car or yourself.

Are we talking about the N/A in your sig?

In a nutshell, I don't belive you, if you're saying you can't maintain a speed in your car within a couple of mph (no matter how powerfull the car) then there is something seriously wrong with either the car or yourself.

Are we talking about the N/A in your sig?

About time you stopped living in your nutshell then. ;)

Please refrain from intimating I am a liar.

Hello, it's been 'busy' here in my absence ;)

I can assure you that all the components are fitted as described. :looney:

And my statements of throttle position/speeds are correct, give or take 0.2 or 0.3mm.

The present spec is shown in link below.

I am a club member hoping to learn from the experience of another member, namely, where a connector block might be hiding in the loom.

If anyone has a positive input to make re. this topic I would be pleased for you to post it.

Pic of throttle body with 2 ramps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=107266&d=1269637286

js800_bar_fit_005.jpg

it was actually a genuine question. The same as with the VVTi I have NEVER seen a non-turbo with cruise fitted and didnt even know it had the extra throttle control.

Good luck with finding the ECU loom though, Im sure the other members will be glad to help you find it.

It was a 'genuine' answer too. :)

On sunday I plan to have the kick panel fuse box out, it's a pig of a job.

I seem to remember there being a spare connector block around there when I refitted it after 'extracting' the Avon Lady ding-donger.

I hope this Antipodian Supra potholing exploration, will be the final chapter in the great mystery of...............

'The Lost Holy Green Supra Cruise Control Connector Block'. :D:D

Its broken bud. Something is wrong with the setup. If you are pushing down on the pedal 1mm and the throttle is opening almost full, open enough to pull to a ton, then something is very wrong.

Its mechanical so either you are exagerating or something very very wrong and strange is happening.

The throttle cable, ramp and butterfly are working perfectly.

The engine is just very responsive to the smallest of throttle movent.

It is perfectly well behaved around town and spirited 'B' road driving.

It is the dual cariageway and motorway trundles, it is 'wearing' to require such fine throttle control to maintain a steady speed.

That's why I am fitting cruise.

You wouldn't happen to know where I can find............

'The Lost Holy Green Supra Cruise Control Connector Block'? ;)

P.S. No I am not exagerating. :)

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Well you know more about the inner workings of your car than I probably ever will so how can you not see where we are coming from?

The intake of air is restricted by the butterfly. Are you saying that your engine uses less air than every other engine ever made?

You should be able to hold your car at any rev limit using the throttle by rotating the butterfly by x degrees. What you are saying is that a 2 degree increase is the same as a 90 degree increase in every other car?

You sound very silly mate.

Get it on camera or it isnt happening ;)

Ok then, lets see if you find this amusing....

You know what you are looking for - Green Connector Block

You know where it is - Under the dashboard.

What is the question that you still require answering?

If you can't find it.... you don't have it.