The mkiv Supra Owners Club

future alloy dilemma...

Lee_e

Hey guys

Basically in june i wish to focus on the exterior of my sup, these are my plans:

Paint correction stage 1 by invisible touch

skirts ( undecided )

do luck front bumper

coilover/ shocks and springs

Refurb alloys / New set

Now the big problem im having and its really racking my brain, is whether or not to refurb my 19" jade r's , they have slight curbing and scuff's and by the looks of it have been badly resprayed by previous owner.

I didnt really want 19" alloys due to the handling side of things, but looks wise its spot on. I really want a set of 18" alloys to allow for better handling and also to allow me to lower the car slightly, as at the moment the 19" alloys have very little room for lowering and i fear they will rub the arches if i put 30mm lowering springs on.

So do i:

Stick with the 19's and refurb them and dont lower it but save money.

Buy a new set of 18's and lower on coilovers but fork out a stupid amount for good looking and fitting alloys.

does anybody have any idea's on a good looking wheels? i absolutely love my jade R's and would love to get another set but in 18's, found some on ebay but im afraid the offset etc will be totally wrong.

i will have a budget of around 500-700 for the wheels alone.

advice would be brilliant as im stuck :(

lee

Edited by Lee_e (see edit history)

I would go with 18's, with a 35 or 30 profile they look OK. 19's is really pushing it too far if you want the handling to be half decent. Get the right wheel and looks will be fine. There will be a market for your 19's on ebay. Save more money and don't buy coilovers, unless you are going to a full alignment done every time you alter them, I can't see the point, apart from blagging rights.

As far as rubbing is concerned, I have 18's and run a 295 rears on Eibachs and Billies, it sits reasonably low but not daft. Spend a bit more and have Chris Wilson do you his re-valved versions of my set up and have one of the best handling MKIV's on the road. I am certainly considering this as my next improvement to handling.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

Depends what kind of wheels you like in 18"

Personally id drop to 18" and lowered, nice new wheels :) Dont forget you can sell the current 19s to increase the budget a little.

Good point, but im afraid if i sell them in the current state there in i will be lucky to get a good amount for them. how much do you think i should be looking at selling them for ? probably be putting them on the site, if i decide to sell :)

Do you boys have any ideas of "affordable" alloys that look good on the supra ? just trying to get ideas for the future.

cheers for the comments aswell .

Right i think iv made my decision :)

I will go for a new set of 18" Jade R's then lower with springs at a latter date.

only thing thats putting me off buying new wheels is that i have no idea about offsets and sizes etc for example all the wheel websites im looking at apear to have the wheel in one size only, i mean theres no option to have wider rears than the fronts.

if you follow me.

So im being putoff by the different sizes. any body that can help explain this stuff and maybe refer me to a website that is good for that sort of thing would be great.

hopefully i will sell my existing 19" jade R's on here for someone to refurb :)

lee

hopefully i will sell my existing 19" jade R's on here for someone to refurb :)

lee

You shouldn't have any problem selling them on here! Any time I hint at getting new rims I get at least 2 PM's with offers to buy my Jade R's :D

You shouldn't have any problem selling them on here! Any time I hint at getting new rims I get at least 2 PM's with offers to buy my Jade R's :D

Nice to know. :D

Just properly inspected them outside in the sunshine and to be honest there not as bad as i stated, a few curb marks here and there but nothing mega. need a really good deep clean and they should be lovely :)