The mkiv Supra Owners Club

restrictor ring, not very restrictive

Lude

the car is BPU,

exhaust, filter, double decat, FCD, FMIC.

have Greddy boost gauge,

1st, 2nd, 2rd & 4th the boost levels are ok, (1.2kgcm2) maybe creeps to about 1.3kgcm2 in 3rd.

however 5th & 6th gear its too much, it can go to nearly 1.5kgcm2 in those gears, which is obviously too much.

have i got the correct restrictor ring? or are they known for this at the higher gears?

the car has a Profec controller, but i know they cannot restrict the boost, (its pointless it being there really)

Edited by Lude (see edit history)

yes ECU is stock,

has an Apexi SAFC for the increased fueling (not ideal i know)

im happy 1.2 bar, but the 1.2bar restrictor rings allow it to go over 1.2 bar.

perhaps il get a 1 bar ring, and hope that allows is to go slightly over to around 1.2 bar.

do many people have these? is playing with the Profec going to do anything?

There is not alot of point having a 1.2 bar restrictor ring and a boost controller on a j-spec car. 1.2 bar being the safe..ish limit and as you said the controller can't lower it.

I suspect that currently your controller is doing nothing. Your best bet is to put a 1 bar or 1.1bar ring in and then use the BC to raise it and maintain it when you want it.

Restrictor rings aren't an exact science and every car will be a bit different with any given size. The boost created is related to the load on your engine so with just the RR controlling it you will get more boost in higher gears due to more load.

EBC's can help with this with their settings, if set correctly, but you need to start with a lower boost so you can raise and control it with the EBC.

My 1.2 bar RR only hit 1.2 bar on a very cold day at WOT in 6th but only got 0.8 to 0.9 in 3rd/ 4th. So I added the EBC to up it to 1.1/1.2bar in the lower gears.

ahh right now i get you,

yea i read before, the restrictor rings controll what the MINIMUM boost will be.

then il increase it up to whatever off the EBC,

i was thinking that the EBC was useless at the moment, but when i get a smaller ring it will serve a purpose :)

• 3 weeks later...