The mkiv Supra Owners Club

buying a supra not taxed..whats the consequences?

supra78669

Hi...just wandering if anyone knows whats the consequences of driving without tax if it just a car you have bought and are driving it home..

ive seen a supra that i am drooling over.. and will want to buy it on thursday... thing is....its got no tax....and its over 180miles away.. i dont want to drive home with the risk of being caught.. i know some people say there is a grace period in which you will have to buy the tax if its for a car you have just bought.. the car currently has a private plate on it and the seller is "hassled" at buying it even if i am paying that little extra... worth the risk guys?

If it's untaxed....No tax alone is a fine up to £1000 or a FPN, no insurance is a fine up to £5000, 6 - 8 points and possible disqualification.

Up to you if you want to chance it, also up to you if you enjoy having a license. Not sure if you have insurance or not.

If you buy a tax disc online from DVLA.org, then you can drive around for 5 days whilst its posted to your home address.

The way I see it; No tax = You cannot drive and if you do you risk being a police officers b!tch.

Option 1 - tax the vehicle online (DVLA website) using your debit card from the sellers home, surely he will not object. Easy and fuss free.

Option 2 - leave a desposit to secure the vehicle upon agreeing a deal. Sort out any paperwork and go and collect it paying the balance a week later or so. (This is how I have usually bought all my cars from trade/private with no issues).

If you buy a tax disc online from DVLA.org, then you can drive around for 5 days whilst its posted to your home address.

Failing to display a tax disc is an offence. :eyebrows:

Ive bought loads of cars with no road tax, never given it a thought tbh, im sure if i had a receipt that i bought it that day the police would let me off.

We've done that in the past too and I'm sure the police would've been okay but I'm not sure nowadays with all of these automatic cameras that can read number plates and tax discs. :blink:

Ive bought loads of cars with no road tax, never given it a thought tbh, im sure if i had a receipt that i bought it that day the police would let me off.

I have done that before & got pulled over by the rozzers, they were pretty cool about it. Mainly because it was out of date by 2 days and also because it was a Saturday afternoon so I couldn't get tax. They saw the receipt and called the owner to confirm all the details, just told me to make sure I taxed it within 3 days or DVLA could fine me.

It is a risk and like the members above I'd advise to get it done on the day, online at his home address. It takes only 10 minutes to get it done online and you can then drive around for 5 days without the tax disc while it is being posted.

Guest 2eagles-2008
No tax means void insurance be warned ita one the insurers love as a way of gettin out of payouts!!!!!!
Anything else is just transport.:)

why are people saying walk away?! its only got no tax. You can drive a car with no tax if you have all the documents to get tax and can prove you are on your way to get it....basically you can't leave town in it.

If you want it, give the guy £100 deposit and the money to buy the tax, once he has bough the tax give him the rest and drive it away. simple.

Or, stick it on a trailer.

I wouldn't walk away from a car because it had no tax, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the car, its just expired!

If the seller has no insurance (I guess it's off the road as it's untaxed) it'll be a pain for him to get tax.

There's nothing stopping you from getting tax as the nearest post office when you buy it, you'd hope the seller wouldn't mind taking you that little distance to get it!