The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Would you buy a car that has been SORNed for 18 months?

Dave_SZ-R

As per the title, seriously contemplating making a long journey to view an NA that has been SORNed for about 18 months. Car looks extremely clean, owner seems genuine and has plenty history, old MOTs etc.

Car has approx 90k miles on it, 5 speed manual. Only faults are minor cosmetic issues and a leccy drivers seat that no longer works.

Anyone who would never buy a car that hasnt been driven for this long?

Mine was sat a year before i bought it home!

I changed all the oils/ fluids as soon as I got it back with plugs etc, stripped out all the brakes and gave them a good clean and checked operation, mines ok now!

It had sat so long it had moss all over the car but interior was ok, a good wash later she looked like new again!

Guest blueangel
Why not? I bought a 1950's Wolseley that had been stored in a garage for 18 years and it started on the 18 year old fuel left in the tank. The brakes freed off after a short run, and the clutch wasn't seized either :) 18 months is nowt.

I had a 1952 wolesley 1500 chris :)

Mine was sat pretty much doing nothing for nearly a year. The brakes were shot but I managed to get a good deal so then I could carry out a full through service and replace all the brake pads and discs. If it is a decent enough deal then go for it, a few hundred spent on it could bring it back to full life.

just knock some money off for the stuff your going to have to check

id trailer it home too unless its a short trip i'd not fancy a cailper seizing or a brake flexy bursting on the trip home,

i bet there are worse condition cars on the road right this second than chris's that sat for 18 years

I would say depends if its been in a garage or sitting outside?

Garage=good

Outside=bad

Damp garage with bad ventilation = very bad

Outside in the air = not half as bad as you might think.

Was given an old Merc that had been sat out side for 4 years. Charged the battery, knocked the brakes with a hammer to free the brakes, drove it home.

Sorn does not = a car has not been used.

I am not suggesting that the car in the thread has been used