The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Limited to 120mph

mad_supra_21

Its probably speedo error. The actual limit is 180km/h (111.8mph) but I've heard 120mph bandied around enough times to believe that this is the indicated speed when the limiter kicks in.

You will have to buy a box of tricks from TRL Performance or somebody to get the limiter removed.

There is a thread about this but if you take a gander at the info you will get by clicking on thors link above and looking on that site you will find out all you need to know.

RE 120 mine also used to read 120 when it hit the limiter. I fitted GPS on mine whilst I was diagnosing a problem I had with my install and when indicating 120 i was only in fact doing 112 mph. Sounds like a common thing then if loads of other people have the same.

Originally posted by Newgendesign

Ref Speed limiter -

Hi there! i would be interested in purchaseing your delimiter if it is for sale still. My car is limited to 120 too.

How does it integrate into the current system - does it bypass or plug straight in to something?

Jez

Basically you wire in your current speed signal wire, and then the output wire you connect to the ECU where your now going to speed limit defencer, old speed signal wire used to go. I think it also needs a 12volt and a ground. Not sure. Will get full spec when I remove it. Probably over the weekend.

Hope that helps

Tony

Originally posted by TLicense

Basically you wire in your current speed signal wire, and then the output wire you connect to the ECU where your now going to speed limit defencer, old speed signal wire used to go. I think it also needs a 12volt and a ground. Not sure. Will get full spec when I remove it. Probably over the weekend.

Hope that helps

Tony

12 volt powers the thing the TRL instruction webpage tells you where to get the 12 volts from.

TRL wiring for 12 volts

The wire that carries the speed signal into the ecu looks like this (after you chop it obviously)

pic of ecu

This download if it works should explain the whole thing again from TRL

dsc.exe

Hi,

Just realised when reading this thread that my car is also limited to 120mph.

I worked out by reading the speedo and doing some maths while VERY bored going down the M3 with cruise control that the car doesn't display the correct speed at all... is anyone else's like this?

When the car reads 30mph, it seems too slow. I worked out when it reads 35mph it's in fact doing 30mph.

For motorway speeds, when it reads 95mph, it's doing just over 80mph.

Is this a common problem? Anyone else have/notice this? I might try and borrow a GPS unit and test it.

If this is the case, surely it's easy enough to just replace the speedo when a new dial that has adjusted measurements on it? I wonder if the Envy customised ones for £90 will read the correct speeds or if I can ask for it to be customised to adjust for it.

I have a lot to ponder it seems.

Ive heard a few people say there speedo's are 5MPH across the range. Both my GT-Four and Supra are. I checked them against my Snooper GPS.

I have just replaced the dials in the GT-Four so i recalibrated it to read correctly (move the needle postion basically) its now perfect right up to 80 ish and then goes a little out. At higher speeds i think there will always be some inconsistency.

My Supra was limited to 120 but was solved with a TRL jobbie. Cant really advise on fitting as it was done for me, but fitting a TRL unit is the answer.

The calibration can be done easily with the trl box which also delimits the car for you as well. Move the soop needle at your peril!!! When you take it off it has a tendency to move. Do a search there are several people on here that removed needles to change dial faces and ended up with way out zero speed readings.

RE aftermarket dials as far as I am aware they are just direct replacements for stock items and as such will have precisely the same placement for the numbers. Getting new ones made to measure for individual cars is financially not an option.

You guys are cool, thanks. (As IF there was any question...)

One last lame-ass question, what's a TRL box and where do I get one? Obviously I'll do my own research, but any info about it would be great from anyone that's got/used one.

Thanks a bunch guys.

• 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by Castle

I'm just about to check whether i've been de limited or if it's playing up but what panel do i want to look behind, any directions please....:)

Under the carpet where your passenger's feet would be there is large black plastic cover. Under that cover is the ECU and this is where a SLD would most likely be connected. It should be pretty obvious to spot once you've got the ECU exposed.