The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting autoshine diffuser

CarlT67

I was going to have a go at fitting my diffuser today but I couldnt work out how the side 'spat' parts screwed onto the car. The forward mount in the arch is easy but attaching it on the underside none of the pre marked holes line up with the hole for the OEM spats.

Does anyone know how they have attached theirs or does anyone have any pictures...?

Thanks Carl

Your such a boring sod. Put some pics up of the new car!

Not till she's ready :D It's got to go in the bodyshop now as it had be painted up and over the spats leaving a line when they're off. The paint stayed fine on the spats but the wings look terrible. Probably going to be the same when I take the Veilside skirts off along the front, but never mind got to do it properly.

Drilled and self tapped them on my car, never bonded nothing.

Lol, he wants it perfect first:cool:

So you self tapped into the metal seal on the underside...? What type if self tappers did you use, I'm guessing not wood type self tappers?

Not till she's ready :D It's got to go in the bodyshop now as it had be painted up and over the spats leaving a line when they're off. The paint stayed fine on the spats but the wings look terrible. Probably going to be the same when I take the Veilside skirts off along the front, but never mind got to do it properly.

So you self tapped into the metal seal on the underside...? What type if self tappers did you use, I'm guessing not wood type self tappers?

Lol, no not wood self tappers, black dome head tappers.

On mine there is some dimples on the carbon where it is meant to be screwed on, do you not have these? halfords will sell the tappers.

Id not fancy driving at speed with the sides just bonded on tbh.

Yeah I drilled them out thinking 'they'll line up with the stock holes', and then I got confused as they are miles out, make sense now though I think I will have another attempt tomorrow now :p. Thanks for the help...!

Right I fitted my diffuser today, what a job all that drilling. Here are some pictures for those who wanted them, hope these give you a better idea what to expect when fitting yours.

I just need to paint all the brackets and fixings black.

Here is the bracket between the Anti Roll Bar mount and the rear of the diffuser...

Same bracket but a view from underneath...

NearSide 'spat part' fitted to the main diffuser panel....

Same part, different view showing the self tappers into the underside of the car...

Same again different view...

Bracket for the central part self tapped into the underside of the bumper aft of the fuel tank...

Forward bracket off side attached to the anti roll bar mount...

Finished, looks odd from that angle...

The job itself is fairly straight forward you just need to be confident with the holes you have to drill. Also you will need more than just yourself to fit it.

All in all it went well, unfortunately when I later removed the Veilside skirts off the car I found the near side one hiding some damage to the seal which looks from jacking. More work for the body shop :rolleyes:

I really like the look of those, get some metal polish on your exhaust to set it off :p

Ok ok give me a chance :D

Its such a shame these dont do anything in terms of providing downforce they do look nice, looking good mate :)

Thanks...!

did you have to make a third bracket?

There are four brackets in total, the two 'Z shape' hanging off the anti roll bar mounts, and the two 'L shape' brackets which I self tapped into the underside of the bumper and they hold up the aft center part.

How do you know they don't?

If the bottom of the car was sealed and flat (like on supercars) then yes it would probably offer down force,

However as shown in the picture below the rear of the diffuser is open so airflow would not be channelled correctly, also by the looks of the brackets these would maybe be too weak if it was to offer any major down force.

attachment.php?attachmentid=107189&stc=1&d=1269520849

Thanks...!

I am not saying I don’t like it, I do, I think they look good, and certainly my post was not meant to dishearten or get anyone annoyed I was just being honest that its a shame that they wont offer much or if any down force,

In terms of looks I think they look great, they have a very good finish and it looks like it been professionally installed on the car.

Sorry if it came across in the wrong way :( it was just a passing comment

untitled.JPG

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

No no it's cool, just came across as you knowing confidently that it would offer no downforce at all, I wondered if you knew something we didn't. You said 'much if any' in your last post so opened it up a bit to the possibility that it might add some. Obviously it's hard to know without proper and probably pretty expensive testing, and I agree its effect is probably comprimised by just 'plonking' it on the back of a car otherwise not designed for it.

I've noticed a couple of people saying the brackets weren't particularly confidence inspiring.

All that said though, I still want one :D