The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rev limit ?

Suprab1

Hi lads, i've heard ireland is getting the noise levels checked from the exhaust in the nct (irish mot) starting next month. anyway i've been thinking is there a way to get the car mapped in a way you can press a switch and she will not rev passed 3k rpm? Ive seen this on a merc before, when it was out of gear it has a very low rev limiter. Just asking because i don't think there would be alot of Supras passing the test over here or any other high power car for that matter.

Another thing, where can i buy a DB check device thing? :D

Thanks, Rab

you can use a BEE R rev limiter for this, theres two settings, one when the hand brake is on and one when off. when you try over-rev everything will be shot through the exhaust and you get the pop pop pop.....

theres a few videows on u tube.

you can use a BEE R rev limiter for this, theres two settings, one when the hand brake is on and one when off. when you try over-rev everything will be shot through the exhaust and you get the pop pop pop.....

Bee R??? Oh please no.....

What are the rules for the MOT noise test; is tested at tick over? At a certain rpm? What distance from the exhaust is the microphone? What's the Db limit?

Easiest way to to reduce the noise level would be to fit a bung in the exhaust tailpipe, or fit one of the cats.

What are the rules for the MOT noise test; is tested at tick over? At a certain rpm? What distance from the exhaust is the microphone? What's the Db limit?

Easiest way to to reduce the noise level would be to fit a bung in the exhaust tailpipe, or fit one of the cats.

The only thing i know is 99db is the limit. I couldn't tell you what revs that would be at. I don't know what db my car is at the moment but i love the sound of it & don't want to change that.

I have the first cat in just now but thats coming out this week. The car is tested for 2 years now so not a problem yet but just to know for the future.

Where can i get a bung from? would this make much differance to sound or power?

Guest Andy_H

i was say have a bung made up, i had one for my tanabe exhaust on my supercharged civic type r, it was LOUD and but with the bung in it was about half the noise, most good exhaust places can make one up for you, it just slipps into the tail pipe and is held on with a little nut. can swap it in and out in a few secs, i used to use it for long drives in my car.

Cos that would go down well during NCT....In Ireland

Yeah i think the bung is the way forward.

Do these reduce power?

Yes it will a little, if you only use for the test though that's not an issue.

I assume if it is part of the vehicle test though, the Police will also have the power to stop you if they think the exhaust is too noisy.

If you want to reduce the noise level permanently, then the best solution would be to fit a quieter exhaust.