The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Soarer v8 into supra ?

BlackWatch66

Just out of curiousity, how hard would it be to drop a 1uz fe (or other lexi V8) from a lexus soarer (auto or man) into a NA supra (auto or man)? I have been told that they are the same chassis and floorplan etc? Would it be a straight swap ie. engine mounts etc?

Apologies if this has allready been covered but the search button is not my friend, I cant understand it....:D

many thanks in advance,

If you want some detailed info on this pm me. It is expensive and time consuming and if its just pure power you want, then there are cheaper, tried and tested ways to get there.

However, its possible to do it cheaper than I did by not having a built engine, and its certainly something a bit different.

Fairly, yes. The soarer mounts will work and the pan sits nicely with no mods needed. The engine is a bit further back though. You would need a gearbox adapter plate to be made to mount it to your supra box, or whatever you chose. Some mods to the loom are obviously needed and I'm running a Link ecu, but you could probably use a standard one from the soarer.

If its the same gearbox it will just mate up no probs but i'm not sure about clearance in the tunnel. Knowing toyota I expect it won't be far off but you may need to modify where the selector comes into the cabin. I think you'll definately need a custom gearbox mount though, but thats easy enough. Worth looking into.

most (or all- I dont know) toyota v8's are auto- unless you use all the soarer ecu/management you need g/box management ecu- then as was said gearbox mounts will likeley be different (very easy to fab gear box mounts though especially if you have the original soarer ones) and then tailshaft will almost certainly be different length (not a big issue either)...

• 2 weeks later...
Many thanks for that, just wanted to be sure before I ordered one as all the plates referred to seemed to be either for R154 or W58

You could double check with cowboy bebop - TTC Performance sell a UZ to V160 adaptor.

The only problems I can think of are dowels, and whether the adaptor is machined with a step to fit inside the bellhousing.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Before you ordered eh. Are you doing this then?

Yes before I ordered the plate. I have a very nice v8 here from a Soarer that I am going to put in but I am on a tight budget so no high spec engine build for me. It will go in as is and then given a bit of a liven up with my T78 turbo