The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fast Help needed, quick. Exhaust mount I think

DodgyRog

I have had a annoying squeak/rattle for a while and a few local members have looked over it and after trying a couple of things, we got to the 1st cat breaking up.

Anyway, I have taken off the 2nd decat pipe and found that the end of what looks like an exhaust mount is snaped, it attaches to the bottom of the clutch bell housing.

2 questions,

is this just an exhaust mount and is it important, as in do I need to replace it before driving it again

and is this likely to be the source of the noise, sounds a bit like a fan belt starting to squeak, but with a rattle and is worse under torque and engine needs to be warm

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

It's hard to tell from the picture but it look like it could be the heat shield for the 1st cat. I don't know of any exhausts that have a mount attached to the gearbox. It could of been the heat shield rattling that you could hear. Mine fell off within a few weeks of owning the car (it had gone rusty). I never replaced it and i've never had any problems. :)

It's hard to tell from the picture but it look like it could be the heat shield for the 1st cat. I don't know of any exhausts that have a mount attached to the gearbox. It could of been the heat shield rattling that you could hear. Mine fell off within a few weeks of owning the car (it had gone rusty). I never replaced it and i've never had any problems. :)

Its definately not the heat shield, I will get out my proper camera and get a better photo be back in 5 mins

That bracket is only for support, it shouldn't cause any noise, unless the two broken parts are rubbing together.

Have you checked the crank pulley?

Definately not the dreaded crank pulley and the 2 parts might well of been rubbing

It's the support hanger/bracket for cat, probably worn/broken.

It is broken, the end bit was still attached to the exhaust bolt.

Do you think it will be okay to drive for a week or so, if I cut away some more of the bracket, so its not to close to the exhaust. It is broken right by the exhaust, the broken bit is the size of a big coin

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated, need to get to work tomorrow dinner time

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

Looks like that has been repaired before? And I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like the OEM support bracket, more like one someone has fabbed up? Could explain why it's cracking.

I think the next thing holding the exhaust up is the turbos, if you're comfortable with them doing all the heavy lifting, take it off.

Looks like that has been repaired before? And I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like the OEM support bracket, more like one someone has fabbed up? Could explain why it's cracking.

I think the next thing holding the exhaust up is the turbos, if you're comfortable with them doing all the heavy lifting, take it off.

I think I am in trouble then, the turbo's have already fallen off :innocent:

:dLOL:D

Taken it off this morning and yes it looks like someone fabricated it or repaired it badly, somewhere along the line.

Will get another one off someone soon and put it back together to be on the safe side