The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin turbo query

sams

Fingers crossed I am picking up a tt tomorrow, some thing I been wondering, after reading through the bpu thread the stock twins can safely handle 1.2bar.

I noticed a few of the projects are big singles with the normal uprated injectors etc and running at 1.4bar to achive around 500hp

what I would like to no if anyone can tell me, with the supporting mods is it possible to recondition the standard twins with uprated bearings and internals so they can handle 1.4bar thus by logic achiving a similer hp to a single on the same boost pressure?

Cheers in advance peeps

I suspect the answer is this approach isn't going to work -

Stick to stock J Spec ceramics or go small single (tee hee) if you actually want to see a gain over them. Boosting anything stock or stock derived at 1.4bar is pointless to me - I think I've proven why at the strip, there's no real performance gain IMO over 1.2 bar.

I apologise in advance for ruining the lucrative hybrids market.

Cheers,

Brian.

what I want to achieve in time is to get 500hp but when looked at the car looks stock but This may not be possible then

Impossible on stock turbos or rebuilt stock turbos (Hybrid Turbos), 450hp would be around the limit, but you would need a lot of supporting mods to achieve that (Fueling, ECU, cams, etc.)

Cheers for that,

what I want to achieve in time is to get 500hp but when looked at the car looks stock but This may not be possible then

When you say looks stock - you mean under the bonnet?

Why must it look stock under the bonnet?

When you say looks stock - you mean under the bonnet?

Why must it look stock under the bonnet?

personal preference, I'm keeping the exterior looking stock, so then the car is abit of a sleeper, tbh I'm not keen on the look of the enginebay with a big single, I do like the hks twin set up but alot of money and I think a little over kill for what I want

personal preference, I'm keeping the exterior looking stock, so then the car is abit of a sleeper, tbh I'm not keen on the look of the enginebay with a big single, I do like the hks twin set up but alot of money and I think a little over kill for what I want

That and insuring the car as a stocker :sly: :D

That and insuring the car as a stocker :sly: :D

Shhh!!

No the insurance is not a problem modifications don't really affect the price and I been stopped before in the past, I had a mg zr which was race prepped, got stopped once and the car was towed and inspected and then the insurance company told them it all covered and they are aware of what been done, and I do not want to go throught that again so everything will be insured and declared correctly

Shhh!!

No the insurance is not a problem modifications don't really affect the price and I been stopped before in the past, I had a mg zr which was race prepped, got stopped once and the car was towed and inspected and then the insurance company told them it all covered and they are aware of what been done, and I do not want to go throught that again so everything will be insured and declared correctly

Sounds like there's a story there.

Why don't you like the look of singles? They don't have to look bling.

Loads easier to work on than stock twins too.

Fingers crossed I am picking up a tt tomorrow, some thing I been wondering, after reading through the bpu thread the stock twins can safely handle 1.2bar.

I noticed a few of the projects are big singles with the normal uprated injectors etc and running at 1.4bar to achive around 500hp

what I would like to no if anyone can tell me, with the supporting mods is it possible to recondition the standard twins with uprated bearings and internals so they can handle 1.4bar thus by logic achiving a similer hp to a single on the same boost pressure?

Cheers in advance peeps

a uk supra can handle 1.4 bar on the stock turbos.

A bpu supra can be quite a handful at times

Fo' Sho'

A lot of people are far too hung up on 500bhp; Is 500bhp the benchmark for having a fast car?

I read the other day that RyanG had achieved 430bhp on stock twins, that would probably be a decent goal to start with, then go single if you need more.

As for looking stock, doesn't the HKS twin-turbo set up have to sit high up in the engine bay due to the larger dimensions?

Edited by Lbm (see edit history)

I wouldnt say a stock looking supra was a sleeper, maybe im wrong.

What experience do you have with other performance cars?

A bpu supra can be quite a handful at times

I currently have a classic wrx running 360whp and that is a fair amount to all 4 wheels. Plus the rear diff is fitted with a LCD so it possible to get the car to 'drift' with ease. I been wanting a supra for ages my uncle had one which I felt fine in driving around north yorkshire for two weeks

I think a stock supra is a bit of a sleeper as no one can really tell what under the bonnet,

and I used 500 as a figure as jamsey has started to build a single, at 1.4 bar of boost with other required bits to get a est output of 500 hp, and I originally wanted to no if it possible to uprate what was there to get the same out come

A rwd supra is more spiteful than alot of other rwd cars and in a different league to 4wd.

i went from a bpu supra to a 320bhp Gt4 and could drive the celica flat out in bends where as the supra requires ALOT of respect in corners esp in the wet.

A rwd supra is more spiteful than alot of other rwd cars and in a different league to 4wd.

i went from a bpu supra to a 320bhp Gt4 and could drive the celica flat out in bends where as the supra requires ALOT of respect in corners esp in the wet.

i have a r33gtr here at the moment and ragged the arse of it at the weekend, bloody good for handling corners compared with the supe, its running 380hp still good fun though:d

I currently have a classic wrx running 360whp and that is a fair amount to all 4 wheels. Plus the rear diff is fitted with a LCD so it possible to get the car to 'drift' with ease. I been wanting a supra for ages my uncle had one which I felt fine in driving around north yorkshire for two weeks

I think a stock supra is a bit of a sleeper as no one can really tell what under the bonnet,

and I used 500 as a figure as jamsey has started to build a single, at 1.4 bar of boost with other required bits to get a est output of 500 hp, and I originally wanted to no if it possible to uprate what was there to get the same out come

lol, man i didnt know these diffs had LCD tv's in them:blink: lol

you mean LSD?:rolleyes:

I pointed that out earlier my predictive on my iPhone auto corrected it to LCD from LSD,

Well I picked up tt today And I love the car to bits took my time and will do in future as I been used to awd but give time I will get used to it and slowly build the car how I want

I pointed that out earlier my predictive on my iPhone auto corrected it to LCD from LSD,

Well I picked up tt today And I love the car to bits took my time and will do in future as I been used to awd but give time I will get used to it and slowly build the car how I want

my bad, i hated it when mine used to do that, then i sold it. Now i miss it, need another iphone:(

Will get pics in morning as I got home at half 9 After driving the car for 3 hours to get home,

my query has more or less been answered cheers, my plan is to bpu over the next year or so then I'm going to go for the twin hks setup when I'm ready bit further down the line

• 2 weeks later...

You sure son?!

I know a certain little RS with only 275bhp at the fly that pissed all over that?! ;)