The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK foglight switch

Newgendesign

After performing a really neat and wonderful foglight mod (using a relay and one pair of brake lights), Im looking to source a suitable fog switch.

Im specifically after a UK spec one to fit my UK spec dashboard ( I own a SZ import).

Does anyone know the part number so I can "attempt" to get one from Toyota?

Alternatly does anyone know of a cool alternative - or any other swithes that might be just as good?

Jez

What you need is the early model foglight switch with four pins (two for dash board illumination and two for the actual switch). Later models had a more complex switch.

I have the p/n somewhere because I bought one of these.

The only slight problem is that the switch does not have the requisite orange telltale light so you will have to rig one of these up yourself somewhere on the dash.

Thanks for that - I read on the FTO forums that to pass MOT the switch needs to illuminate too. Is this what you mean?

At the moment Im using a illuminated rocker switch (not illuminating yet) which is horrible.

I could take a feed off and illuminate this on the third pin in the meantime I suppose to get it through MOT.

jez

Originally posted by Newgendesign

Thanks for that - I read on the FTO forums that to pass MOT the switch needs to illuminate too. Is this what you mean?

The switch doesnt have to illuminate but there must be an orange indictaor lamp somewhere within the driver's normal field of vision to make it MOT-proof.

The illumination in the stock switch is just to make the switch easy to find in the dark. You can easily link it to the dimmer in the dashboard like the rest of the dash illumination.

Yeah thanks Emin!-

I am going to send an email to you thanking you for the great instructions. The only problem we came across was that we wired the wrong sides on one of the bulbs to the relay (relay only switches one way doesnt it). Fixed it pretty quick though.

Yes, I need this switch quite desperatly (MOT in June) so if anyone can source me the p/n for the older variety I would be most appreciative.

"The switch doesnt have to illuminate but there must be an orange indictaor lamp somewhere within the driver's normal field of vision to make it MOT-proof."

Ok - so all I need to do is illuminate the orange rocker switch and place it on the right hand side of the dash then next to the mirror controls. Will that do it?

Its funny as I see Jap import cars all the time and never look to see how the fog light switch is mounted.

Mine didnt come with one to begin with so I'm learning the hard way!

Originally posted by Newgendesign

Ok - so all I need to do is illuminate the orange rocker switch and place it on the right hand side of the dash then next to the mirror controls. Will that do it?

Yep.

Be careful where youmount your switch though. When you get it the uk foglamp switch will slot into one of the locations in the RHS dash panel. If you take this panel off you will see three brackets mounded into the rear that will accept switches. The front of the panel will only have holes punched in to take the switches for whatever options you have fitted. On a UK car all three of these are taken up (headlight washer, fog lamp, headlight levelling). On a J -spec this is where the flippy-in wing mirror switch goes.

You will have to cut out a hole to accept the UK switch when you fit it. If you mount your smaller temporary switch inside one of these brackets to start with, you can enlarge the hole later on when you fit the proper switch (to save you ending up with a spare hole if you see what I mean).

Each bracket is keyed so that you cannot fit the wrong switch into the wrong hole. IIRC the proper place for the foglamp switch is the middle or top bracket, but I have mine fitted in the bottom location because that is where JIC fitted their round switch. You can modify the keys on the switch with a rough file and make them fit anywhere without too much hassle.

If you do a search on fog lamp conversions you should find a post from me about doing something similar.

Hi Guys

Any luck with the switch part number?

Another question - Im a bit concerned about the vsisibility of an amber light to indicate whether you have fogs actually on. Do importers normally feature this when they do the quick conversion (i.e place a seperate LED on the dash?) I was under the impresssion as long as it had a switch somewhere in easy view it didnt need to light up or indiate that they were on. Am I wrong?

If anyone had any, I would like to see any pics of any importers conversions - i.e switch placement etc.

Let me know your thoughts on this matter!

Jez