The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT Diff & w58 gear box

ray007

Assuming you refer to a Pre-facelift TT6 diff (the big one):

IIRC you'll need the back section of the TT6 prop and one TT6 driveshaft (can't recall which side). Not the simplest of swaps, but certainly do-able.

The drive ratio's will be really poor with the W58 as the TT6 diff has a very high ratio. Take a look here to see the effect: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=184490

It'll mean slower acceleration but a much longer gear. Will not be nice to drive, i.e. nearly 50mph in first gear, over 80mph in 2nd!

thanks bud much appreciated, what if i use an auto n/a diff with the w58? how would that be? any better?

Assuming you refer to a Pre-facelift TT6 diff (the big one):

IIRC you'll need the back section of the TT6 prop and one TT6 driveshaft (can't recall which side). Not the simplest of swaps, but certainly do-able.

The drive ratio's will be really poor with the W58 as the TT6 diff has a very high ratio. Take a look here to see the effect: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=184490

It'll mean slower acceleration but a much longer gear. Will not be nice to drive, i.e. nearly 50mph in first gear, over 80mph in 2nd!

Here you go...

Not a huge amount of difference, the r154 is closer ratio and has slightly longer 5th, so would be a nicer drive ones it's out of first (which is a bit tall at 38mph)

If you're running a different size tyre let me know and I'll put that in.

r154.jpg

w58.jpg

BTW, if you want a car that's a better drive on the A and M roads, rather than a closer ratio and lower top speed, an auto TT diff might be worth thinking about. They are the same fitment as the NA diff, just needs a different back half of the prop (from an auto TT)

It'll make it possible to cruise at 80-100mph at rpm's more like the 6 speed.

They are different mate. Here's a summary (from the gear calculator ;) ). LSD or Open makes no difference to the ratio.

NA auto, 5spd = 4.083

NA 6spd = 3.769

TT jspec auto = 3.769

TT jspec 6spd pre-facelift = 3.267 (The "big" diff)

TT jspec 6spd facelift = 3.266

TT UK spec auto = 3.769

TT UK spec 6spd = 3.133

hi, was wondering how much a manual conversion would be for my supra. does anybody know???

It's not really the place to ask and depends on your current car and spec. Baseline price inc fitting (but can vary massively):

5spd NA setup: £1200 + clutch & flywheel

6spd TT setup: £2500 + clutch & flywheel

one last question, i know i should use th calc but i rather hear it from homer,

im currently about to run a Tt engine with w58 and n/a auto diff (car is originally n/a auto aero), with bpu mods such as 1st&2nd decat, 1bar RR, standard side mount intercooler, hks FCD, walbro fuel pump, ik22 plugs.

What do you think the out come would be? nice drive?

And how much difference would it make if i use a TT auto diff?

many thanks