The mkiv Supra Owners Club

About to buy, TT Auto, 1998 - Advice?

Guest jackbruford

Guest jackbruford

Hi Everyone, my first post on the forum, have been browsing for a while tho!

Was hoping you could help, I'm about to buy a supra, have decided after a few test drives in different models that the TT auto is for me.

I have found one that I am keen on, But it seems a little too good to be true!

£6000 ono,

TwinTurbo Auto, (not tiptronic)

Import

40,000 miles (almost unbelievable)

1 owner since import 10 yrs ago,

Silver

However, When I look at the Engine bay pics, the engine does not seem to me to be VVT-i, just looking at the spark plug cover... Which surely it should be by this year?

Having a quick search with his Reg number at work (I run a garage), it comes back from the DVLA as Manual. when asked he says that "this is probably just a document error. It is Definitely auto from the factory."

Could anyone tell me if maybe this vehicle is not what it seems? Have tried tracing from Toyota using VIN / Reg, but they are unable to help without the build code, which I don't have yet...

Maybe he inputted incorrect year when he registered it? or maybe he was sold it as a 1998, but maybe its a bit earlier?

Also is it a facelift (which it surely should be if 1998?) and can anyone tell me a guess at the model SZ / RZ ect?

many thanks in advance to you all! :salute:

1552505-2.jpg

1552505-5.jpg

1552505-3.jpg

Guest jackbruford

I should add, The docs say that it was built 31/12/98 and registered in uk on 12/12/2000. Owner imported it himself, he says, 10 yrs ago.

any other ideas of year? or is it impossible to tell without the build codes?

many thanks again!

Get a good look at the vin plate mate and there is a handy vin plate tool on here to help you work it all out. If you get stuck with decoding just ask for help. That will give you all the info you need.

That car was never made in 1998 fact.

I reckon its just a cock up by the dvla.

98 would be a facelift car

so dash is pre facelift,should have passenger airbag on facelift,abs unit is prefacelift,side repaters are in the wings(facelift are in the bumper)

headlights are pre facelift so are the front repeater lamps

def not a 98 car as stated by edge

Guest jackbruford

Hi guys, thanks for your replies;

did a track using the vin calculator tool on here and found out (just from the chassis number) that its more likely june 1993! How can people advertise as a 1998 and still sleep at night!?

Seller is sure its 1998 and sounds genuine. He's garaged it for the last 10 years (likely looking at the engine bay state again!)

I hate to be the one to break the news to him!

Many thanks for your help guys....I'm sure I'll be back with more q's once I've found the right one for me in budget....

Hello & welcome to the club.

I'd say this was built 1993/94 and the mileage does seems very very low for a car of this age, it is very likely it has been clocked when arriving here in the UK 10 years ago.

What about the current owner? What is he/she like? Do you know what mileage they got the car 10 years ago? I would guess the current owner hardly drove the car then.

Don't be put off though.

Check the main big hoses around the engine bay and see if they seem in good nick. From the pics they look a little dusty but in good condition.

With that mileage if its genuine it should drive like new.

You may be able to use the fact its not a 1998 to your advantage and may do well out of it if he adjusts the price.

Take a fellow member with you who knows the supra well.

And go through the mots to check mileage

Guest jackbruford

Yes, my plan was to go at the weekend and have a good look over, speak to Toyota when I have the build code to verify the age and also to print out the chassis number age guide posted on here and take it with me.

I will also be cross checking MOT Certs for mileage ref.

I will also take the buyers guide I read on here too.

I am a mechanic by trade but sell 2-4 cars a month second hand, but this one is really just a personal toy. Been stung before in the past with dodgy motors, so will be taking no chances with my hard earn't cash here!

On the plus side, as you mentioned edge, If the price is adjusted and it does drive well, and its as clean as he describes, then It could well be a nice solid base for my project.

Current owner owned for 10yrs since import. Uses is v occasionally for a Sunday car, usually only in the summer apparently. Other than that it is stored inside in a dry heated warehouse. (he owns a shipping firm or something)

I am, however well aware that such extreme lack of use as this mileage would suggest can lead to almost as much wear (with the age related items I mean) on the engine as if it had done average mileage, if not maintained according to age rather than mileage. My point being that, for example many manufacturers now recommend a part such as timing belt be replaced at, say, 70,000 miles or FIVE Years, Regardless of mileage.

My only concern would be with weather he has simply locked it away for years on end with no maintenance. But of course the history should reveal all, and I guess none of its really a problem as we're doing it all ourselves anyway...

I read somewhere that the Supra GTE engine is a NON interference engine, I.E. if the cambelt slips/snaps, there would be no valve to piston contact? any ides if this is correct?

Cheers guys.

I read somewhere that the Supra GTE engine is a NON interference engine, I.E. if the cambelt slips/snaps, there would be no valve to piston contact? any ides if this is correct?Cheers guys.

Correct so a bit of piece of mind BUT...... I would still get the cambelt changed anyway if it hadnt been done for a while on any new purchase :)

My car bought off here is a GZ Auto TT with 104km (65k miles) and with the limiter still on and in km I take is true

scotty

Edited by scotty71 (see edit history)

Guest jackbruford

[quote=scotty71;

My car bought off here is a GZ Auto TT with 104km (65k miles) and with the limiter still on and in km I take is true

scotty

eh? You mean you believe your displayed mileage to be true? what year are you?