The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jspec rear brake discs / Caliper trouble (Bristol)

The-Plethora

I heard a familiar screech today and my rear pads are on their arse again, I only changed them 2 months ago for genuine toyota ones front and back and on closer inspection I have a seized caliper on the passenger side rear and its down to the metal.

I have ordered the rear brake caliper refurb parts from toyota today (should be in on friday) and put in the old rear pads I kept as spares when I changed all the pads so if I need to do a very short trip I can.

On closer inspection the brake disc looks damaged and has a hairline raised crack running through it which must have caught the pad also. This along with the seized caliper would explain why the pads died so quickly.

I am in a hole cash wise at the moment with fixing other bits on the car, still need to get the exhaust repaired this month so I want to keep replacements as cheap as possible but intend to get both rear discs.

Just a couple of questions, I did a search but always find the new thread (similar threads) thing gets better results.

The car is a japanese import with the standard 2 pot front 1 pot rear brakes. Do the UK and Jap ones at least share the same discs?

I am looking at http://www.brakediscs.org.uk/index.html for parts as price wise they seem quite good but cant select TT Import so just want to be a bit careful.

Also on the offchance anyone near Bristol has some good condition Jspec rear discs please drop me a line.

Cheers for any help.

Dave

Sorry to bump this

Thanks gatethr jspec supra import turbo and non turbo makes things a little easier

Just wondering if there is difference between the ones I am looking at

First is 307 X 17 vented brake disc (each) PN BDS5837 costing £52.11

Second is 307 X 16 vented brake disc PN BDS6162 £67.03

Presumably these are ever so slightly different thicknesses which hopefully wont make a difference. If its ok to go with the cheaper ones I will get a matching pair. So basically 307 X 16 and 307 X 17, basically the same and buy whatever is cheapest right :)?

Thanks for the help everyone, caliper refurb kit arrived today also so i knwo what i am doing this weekend.

Go for the "non-turbo import" discs - 307mm diameter.

Alternatively, avoid the Supra tax and buy the GS300 (-9/98) rear discs.

Are they the same!?

Yes. J-spec Supra, Mk1 GS300/Aristo, and Soarer TT share front and rear brakes.

For front only you can add GS300/Aristo Mk2 and SC430 to the list.

For front discs and calipers (not caliper brackets) IS200/300/Altezza.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)